By the turn of the 20th century Richmond was the most densely populated city in the southern United States, boasting a population of 85,000. The city was selected as the site of the Fifth District of the Federal Reserve Bank based on the city’s central geographic location and significance as a commercial and financial center. In 1929, Philip Morris and Company, Ltd. opened its first U.S. factory in Richmond, which helped boost local economy. Other companies followed in their footsteps, including the American Oil Company, Federal Paperboard Company, Inc, Porter Hayden, and Standard Paper Manufacturing Company. Currently, Richmond is home to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, one of thirteen U.S. courts of appeals, as well as international companies such as Genworth Financial and CapitalOne. Richmond is also a thriving educational community, housing both the University of Virginia and the University of Richmond within its borders.
We have confirmed that Richmond has numerous jobsites where asbestos products were used throughout the years. Individuals who worked with and/or around asbestos-containing materials are at risk to develop mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer. Asbestos lawyers may also be able to assist you if you were exposed to asbestos in Richmond.
01. Exposure Sites
Other Asbestos Exposure Sites in Richmond, Virginia
Workers and residents may have been exposed to asbestos in Virginia, leading to an asbestos disease diagnosis. The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance has compiled information obtained from a number of sources to identify the following jobsites in Richmond where asbestos exposure was known to have occurred. These sites are listed below.
Richmond, Virginia Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A. Lynn Thomas Company, Inc.
- Albemarle Paper Company
- Allied Chemical Corporation
- American Cigar Company
- American Oil Company (AMOCO)
- American Suppliers, Inc.
- American Tobacco Company
- Ampthill Plantation
- Armstrong Constructing & Supply Company, Inc. (AC&S)
- Atlantic Life Insurance
- B. & G. Olsen Company, Inc.
- Bellwood Printing Plant
- British-American Tobacco Company, Ltd.
- C. E. Thurston & Sons, Inc.
- Calhoun Community Center
- Caraustar Industries’ Richmond Paperboard Factory
- Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company
- Chesterfield Power Station
- City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities
- Clark Gum Company
- Concrete Structures, Inc.
- Darbytown Road Plant
- Diesel Public Housing Unit
- Dupont Spruance Manufacturing Plant
- E.I. Dupont De Memours and Company
- Federal Paper Board Company, Inc.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- Firestone Tire & Rubber Company
- First Baptist Church
- Flake Board Plant
- Frank H. Hott Company, Inc.
- General Motors
- George H. Meyer & Sons, Inc.
- Green Stemmery Plant
- Halifax Paper Board Company, Inc.
- Henrico Fire Station #13
- Hinde & Dauch Paper Company
- Hotel Richmond Corporation
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local #666
- J.R. Johnson and Company Inc
- Jos. Mcsweeney & Sons, Inc.
- Kentucky Tobacco Product Company
- Kingan and Company
- Laidlaw, Mackill and Company
- Lea Industries, Inc.
- Libbie Rehabilitation Center, Inc.
- Liggett and Myers Tobacco Company
- Manchester Board & Paper Company, Inc.
- McGraw-Morgan, Inc.
- Mead Corporation
- Medical College of Virginia
- Morrison Industrial Equipment Company
- Mutual Assurance Society building
- National Linen Service Company
- O’Ferral, Inc.
- Old Dominion Iron and Steel Corporation
- Old Hickory (Dupont) Chemical Company
- Philip Morris USA, Inc.
- Philip Morris USA’s Stockton Street Plant
- Porter Hayden Company
- Portsmouth Power Station
- Process Engineering, Inc.
- Prudential Life Insurance Company
- Redford Brick Company
- Reynolds Metals Company
- Richard E. Byrd Airport
- Richmond and Henrico Railway Company
- Richmond Cedar Works
- Richmond Cold Storage Company
- Richmond Greyhound Terminal
- Richmond Leaf Department building
- Richmond Locomotive and Machine Works
- Richmond Memorial Hospital
- Richmond Paperboard Corporation
- Richmond Passenger and Power Company
- Richmond Terminal Railway Company
- Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad
- Riverside Hospital
- S.G. Webb Chemical Company
- Safety, Health & Welfare Building
- Sam English, Inc.
- Southern Plumbing and Electric Company
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Standard Oil Building
- Standard Paper Manufacturing Company
- State Office Building
- State Planters Bank and Trust
- Synthesis Gas Plant
- Texas Gulf Sulphur Company
- Tredegar Iron Works
- U.S. Post Office
- Union Camp Corporation
- United States Naval Training School
- United States Tobacco Company
- University of Richmond
- University of Virginia
- University of Virginia University Hospital
- Virginia Aluminum Products Corporation
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Department of Transportation Annex
- Virginia Electric & Power Company
- Virginia Electric Railway and Development Company
- Virginia Institute For Scientific Research
- Virginia Passenger and Power Company
- Virginia Power & Electric Company
- Virginia Railway and Power Company
- Virginia State Library and Archives
- Virginia State Penitentiary
- Virginia Supply Company, Inc.
- W S Forbes and Company
- W. G. Cosby Transfer & Storage Corporation
- West Virginia Pulp & Paper Company
- Westvaco Corporation
- Wingo, Ellett and Crump Shoe Company
Contact a Mesothelioma Doctor near Richmond
We have compiled a list of mesothelioma doctors and oncologists that practice within a 100-mile radius of Richmond, Virginia. Click on a specific doctor link to obtain more information about their areas of expertise, background, professional affiliations, office locations and contact information.
Ryan Gentzler, M.D.
Christine L. Lau, M.D.
03. Cancer Centers
Find a Cancer Center near Richmond, Virginia
For your convenience, we have prepared the following list of mesothelioma cancer centers located within a 100-mile radius of Richmond, Virginia. Please click on a cancer center link to obtain more detailed information about the resources available at each one.
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Virginia Health System
Virginia Oncology Associates
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
Washington Cancer Institute
04. Support Services
Locate Cancer Support Services Near Richmond
While receiving treatment, mesothelioma patients may find a need for temporary lodging, patient transport, physical therapy or counseling. We have compiled a list of these cancer support services near Richmond, Virginia for your convenience.
Virginia Treatment Support Services
- Riverside Cancer Care Center
- University of Virginia
- University of Virginia Hospitality Housing
- Delta Medical Transport
- Priority Patient Transport
- VCU Massey Cancer Center
05. Filing a Lawsuit
Filing a Mesothelioma Claim in Richmond, Virginia
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos at a commercial, residential or military site in Richmond, you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t lose your right to file a Virginia mesothelioma lawsuit to hold responsible parties accountable. You must act quickly and file your claim within the appropriate statute of limitations for the state of Virginia.
06. Law Firms
Lawyers for Richmond Residents with Mesothelioma
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hardworking men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including but not limited to state of residence, jobsites, and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.
Simon Greenstone Panatier, PC Our is comprised of experienced trial attorneys who possess knowledge and familiarity with asbestos-related diseases. We believe that those injured by careless asbestos exposure have the right to fair recompense for their suffering, and we are committed to holding the reckless companies responsible.