01. Law Firm Overview
What Is a Mesothelioma Law Firm?
Mesothelioma law firms specialize in asbestos litigation. Top mesothelioma lawyers provide legal support to victims of asbestos exposure and their loved ones. They can help file personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits, as well as pursue other legal actions such as asbestos trust fund or mesothelioma wrongful death claims.
Mesothelioma law is a highly specialized field. Choosing from the best mesothelioma law firms is important for winning financial compensation.
Mesothelioma lawyers have experience working with people diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma. They know the unique circumstances of people living with this rare cancer. Their efforts will minimize the burdens on victims. The best mesothelioma lawyers will handle every step of the legal process. This allows victims to focus on treatment and spending time with their loved ones.
Why Work With a Law Firm Specializing in Mesothelioma Cases
Asbestos laws are complex and may vary from state to state. Law firms that specialize in mesothelioma cases understand the details of asbestos litigation. Mesothelioma lawyers have the resources and experience needed to handle every aspect of a legal case. This includes everything from filing the case to negotiating a settlement to winning a verdict at trial.
Mesothelioma compensation can help you and your family pay for medical care and other expenses, including:
- End-of-life care
- Financial support for family members
- Hospital visits
- Travel accommodations
- Treatment costs
02. Choosing a Top Law Firm
Choosing an Asbestos Law Firm
It is important to find a mesothelioma law firm that can meet your needs. Your lawyers should give you confidence you are pursuing the best option for compensation. There are several reasons why you should choose a law firm specializing in asbestos cases.
Free Case Evaluation and No Upfront Legal Fees
Top asbestos attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss your legal options. They can answer questions and provide insights into available compensation options. There are no obligations when you receive a consultation, and many law firms work on a contingency fee basis. This means the law firm will only receive payment if you win compensation.
Experience Winning Mesothelioma Cases
Your law firm should have demonstrated success winning mesothelioma lawsuits. The best mesothelioma law firms have a track record of obtaining large settlements and jury awards. Experienced law firms also have extensive knowledge of asbestos trust funds and how to file a successful mesothelioma claim.
Individual Attention and Support From Mesothelioma Lawyers
A team of mesothelioma attorneys will be assigned to your case to listen to your story. Dedicated attorneys should be available during every step of the process. They will handle filing your lawsuit, be present at all court proceedings and inform you about the progress of your case. Your lawyers will not ask you to travel. Top mesothelioma lawyers will focus on your comfort and will travel to you to deal with any in-person matters. The support of a dedicated legal team allows you to focus on treatment and time with your loved ones.
Extensive Knowledge of the Asbestos Industry
Mesothelioma attorneys have extensive knowledge about asbestos companies, asbestos products and high-risk occupations. They can gather evidence regarding when and how you were exposed to asbestos. They also understand asbestos laws and regulations.
A Thorough Understanding of Mesothelioma
The best asbestos law firms understand malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestos-related diseases. Top mesothelioma lawyers and their teams are educated on the latest treatments and clinical trials. They can also connect you with mesothelioma doctors and cancer centers.
Top mesothelioma law firms are licensed to practice across the country. Your lawyers should consider your individual circumstances and where your asbestos exposure occurred. They can help determine the best place to file your case.
Did You Know?
03. Top Mesothelioma Law Firms
Top-Rated Mesothelioma Law Firms in the U.S.
The best law firms will make you feel comfortable and supported throughout the legal process. Top mesothelioma attorneys are dedicated to your case and have the experience necessary to win.
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Meisenkothen
Serves Clients: Nationwide
Offices in: Edwardsville, IL; New Haven, CT; New Orleans, LA; New York, NY; Orlando, FL; St. Louis, MO; Torrance, CA; Washington, D.C.
Recognized by: Best Lawyers®, Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers®, U.S. News & World Report
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney & Meisenkothen (ELSM) has represented more than 3,000 individuals impacted by asbestos exposure. ELSM has more than 40 years of experience in asbestos litigation. Their law firm will work tirelessly on behalf of their client’s legal rights.
The Gori Law Firm
Serves Clients: Nationwide
Offices in: Alton, IL; Belleville, IL; Edwardsville, IL; Granite City, IL; New Orleans, LA; New York, NY; Orlando, FL; St. Peters, MO; Torrance, CA; Washington, D.C.
Recognized by: Super Lawyers®, National Trial Lawyers, The American Society of Legal Advocates (ASLA)
The Gori Law Firm has helped thousands of clients recover mesothelioma compensation. Over the past 15 years, the firm’s lawyers have recovered more than $3 billion in verdicts and settlements. Attorneys at The Gori Law Firm have the knowledge and resources to fight negligent asbestos companies.
Simmons Hanly Conroy
Serves Clients: Nationwide
Offices in: Alton, IL; Chicago, IL; El Segundo, CA; New York, NY; St. Louis, MO
Recognized by: Best Lawyers®, Super Lawyers®, U.S. News & World Report
Simmons Hanly Conroy is one of the top asbestos law firms in the United States. The firm is committed to helping individuals and families affected by asbestos-related diseases. For more than 20 years, the firm has recovered billions of dollars in asbestos verdicts and settlements on behalf of their clients.
Dean Omar Branham Shirley, LLP
Serves Clients: Nationwide
Offices in: Dallas, TX; Indianapolis, IN
Recognized by: Super Lawyers®, National Trial Lawyers
The Law Offices of Dean, Omar, Branham and Shirley are dedicated to helping mesothelioma patients get compensation. The firm’s lawyers are experienced in fighting unsafe working conditions and negligent asbestos companies.
04. Working With a Law Firm
What to Expect When Working With a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Top mesothelioma law firms value your input and have your best interests in mind. You should work with trustworthy attorneys who will listen to your story, explain the legal process and meet your unique needs.
Your legal team should communicate with you often and keep you updated on the progress of your case. Attentive lawyers can ensure you receive maximum compensation as quickly as possible.
When choosing a mesothelioma law firm, the process begins with an introductory meeting. The first meeting, or free consultation, covers:
- Any questions about the legal process
- Information and details about your asbestos exposure
- Potential options for compensation
- Any other questions or concerns you have
After your free case review, you can decide how to proceed with your case. If you choose to move forward, your mesothelioma attorneys can begin the process of filing your claim.
Questions to Ask Your Mesothelioma Law Firm
When choosing a law firm, it is important to get to know the legal team. During your consultation, you should ask questions to better understand their qualifications.
Common questions to help you understand the legal process and learn more about your law firm include:
- Can you discuss a few asbestos cases your firm has successfully litigated?
- How does your firm approach mesothelioma cases?
- How is your firm different from other law firms that handle asbestos lawsuits?
- What are the costs associated with hiring your law firm?
- Which attorney(s) will be assigned to my case and what experience do they have?
- Your offices are not located in the state I live in. Will that be a problem?
Understanding Legal Terms
- Complaint: The first formal action taken to start a lawsuit. It outlines the legal and factual basis for the lawsuit against the defendant.
- Defendant: The individual or company legal action is being taken against.
- Discovery: The collection and exchange of information prior to trial.
- Plaintiff: The person or group filing the lawsuit.
- Recovery: The compensation awarded to the plaintiff.
- Venue: The place where the mesothelioma case is filed and handled.
Steps in the Legal Process
Getting compensation may seem overwhelming for you and your loved ones. Mesothelioma law firms provide you with an experienced team to guide you through the following steps:
- Researching Your Occupational and Medical History
Your law firm will build your case through in-depth research and evidence. Research can include gathering and examining medical records, occupational history information and military service records.
- Determining Recovery Options
Your law firm will then look into avenues of financial compensation. Common recovery options include personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. Other options may include asbestos trust funds, VA claims and workers’ compensation.
- Selecting a Venue
After choosing the best recovery option, the law firm will determine the proper venue to file your claim. Your lawyer may be able to file a lawsuit in any location in which you resided, worked or served in the military.
- Filing the Lawsuit
Your law firm will file a formal complaint on your behalf. The complaint states the legal causes of action against one or more asbestos companies.
- Navigating the Discovery Phase
After filing a complaint, your law firm will present information to the defendant(s). Your lawyer presents the evidence through written documents and/or oral testimony. Your lawyer will also request documents the defendant(s) have access to that are relevant to the case. In many cases, the law firm will focus on reaching a settlement during this period.
- Receiving Financial Compensation
Many mesothelioma lawsuits result in asbestos settlements before the set trial date. If you choose to not settle, you can move forward with the lawsuit and seek a trial resolution.
05. Law Firm Directory
Mesothelioma Law Firm Directory
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia
06. Common Questions
Common Questions About Mesothelioma Law Firms
How do you know if a mesothelioma law firm is reputable?
- Some quick research can tell you if a mesothelioma law firm is reputable. Easy ways to check if a law firm is legitimate include:
- Bar Association websites: Each state has a bar association website with profiles of licensed attorneys. The profile will state whether a person is currently licensed to practice and any disciplinary actions against them.
- Law firm’s website: Checking a law firm’s website for its quality and any awards or certifications is also a good way to vet lawyers.
- Third-party rating sites: Third-party lawyer-rating sites, such as Best Lawyers® and Super Lawyers®, also exist. These can help assure you of a mesothelioma lawyer’s qualifications.
- Google search: A quick Google search can bring up news about a firm that may be missing from other sources.
Can a family member hire an asbestos law firm for an asbestos case?
- In the case of a personal injury lawsuit, the injured party must hire an asbestos law firm. If the injured party is deceased, a family member may hire an asbestos law firm to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The family of a deceased victim may also be able to file an asbestos trust fund claim, certain types of VA claims and/or a workers’ compensation claim. An asbestos law firm can help victims and their loved ones understand their options for compensation.
How do I choose a good mesothelioma law firm?
- There are several things to look for when choosing a mesothelioma law firm. To find the best mesothelioma law firm to represent your case, it is important to keep in mind:
- Expertise: A good mesothelioma law firm will have experience litigating asbestos cases. Experience is important to ensure the firm has legal expertise in this specific practice area. It is also important to consider their level of success in winning cases and settlements.
- How they treat you: You should pay attention to the way the firm’s lawyers treat you as you consider hiring them. It is important to hire a law firm that you are comfortable working with.
- Legal fee structure: They should also offer a free consultation. You should be wary of any firm that asks upfront for legal fees for mesothelioma cases.