01. How a Lawyer Can Help
How a Mesothelioma Lawyer Can Help You
Whether you’re a patient diagnosed with mesothelioma or a family member looking after someone who has been diagnosed, there are many ways that a mesothelioma lawyer can help you. From simply providing information on how to pursue legal action to performing detailed research, a good lawyer can offer assistance at any step during the legal process.
- A Free Consultation: A reputable lawyer will offer you a free case review, which will offer insight into your eligibility for a case, options for compensation and details on how to move forward with the process, if you decide to file a mesothelioma lawsuit.
- Available Compensation: A mesothelioma attorney can help you understand the many types of financial compensation that may be available to you, including settlements, verdicts and asbestos trust fund claims.
- Focused Legal Support: Mesothelioma lawyers have experience handling similar asbestos cases, understand past successful trials and current trials, as well as have knowledge on how to build the most effective cases.
- Research Assistance: Your lawyer can help you gather a variety of information to support your case, including employment, union, military, residential and medical records as evidence of asbestos exposure. They will also help you with depositions and witness or expert testimonies to support your case. A mesothelioma lawyer will also have experience gathering evidence for mesothelioma cases where time and cause of exposure are unknown.
- Venue Selection: A mesothelioma lawyer will coordinate scheduling and location needs to determine where your claim should be submitted and where your legal proceedings will be held.
- Case Management: Your mesothelioma lawyer will manage your case, performing necessary research and handlings, while keeping you informed on any potential developments. Effective case management will give you and your family the opportunity to focus on treatment, often allowing you to avoid travel and court appearances, as well.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients
02. Understanding the Law
Mesothelioma and the Law
There are many legal questions that you may have when considering filing a mesothelioma claim and throughout the legal process. Below is a list of questions to consider, as well as resources to better your understanding. A mesothelioma lawyer can also provide you with personalized advice for your individual case.
03. Top Mesothelioma Law Firms
Top Mesothelioma Law Firms in the U.S.
It’s crucial for patients to choose a lawyer with experience in mesothelioma litigation. The best asbestos lawyers work for national mesothelioma law firms, granting them access to a range of resources and information that smaller, less experienced lawyers are unlikely to have, giving you the best chance at gaining the compensation you deserve.
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hard-working men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including, but not limited to, state of residence, job sites and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.
Mesothelioma Lawyer Directory
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia
04. Common Questions
Common Questions About Mesothelioma Lawyers
When should I hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
- Mesothelioma patients and family members must file a claim within a certain amount of time after their diagnosis or death. It’s best to get in contact with a mesothelioma lawyer as soon as possible to ensure eligibility for compensation.
Am I eligible to file a mesothelioma lawsuit?
- Mesothelioma patients or their loved ones may be able to file a lawsuit if a death or diagnosis has occurred as a result of asbestos exposure. Claims must be filed within a certain amount of time, according to each state’s statute of limitations.
Why should I hire a mesothelioma attorney?
- A mesothelioma law firm is experienced in handling mesothelioma- and asbestos-related lawsuits. They have knowledge regarding eligibility and requirements for filing an asbestos lawsuit.
How much does it cost to hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
- Many mesothelioma law firms offer free consultations and only require payment if you receive compensation. A percentage of the awarded compensation is typically agreed upon between the lawyer and claimant as payment.
How long will it take to receive compensation after I hire a lawyer?
- Compensation timelines vary by case. Claimants may receive compensation within a month. However, payouts could take over one year, so claimants should file a claim as soon as possible.