What Is a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
A mesothelioma lawyer specializes in securing compensation through asbestos litigation and claims. Working with an experienced mesothelioma lawyer allows you to understand your legal options for financial compensation. For instance, after a confirmed diagnosis of mesothelioma cancer, an asbestos attorney can file a lawsuit against a negligent company on your behalf. Asbestos lawsuits and claims may result in compensation, such as settlements and verdicts.
Qualities of an Experienced Asbestos Lawyer
Finding an experienced asbestos lawyer is an important step in getting the compensation you deserve. The best asbestos attorneys have successfully litigated asbestos cases. Nationwide mesothelioma law firms have decades of experience helping victims and their families secure compensation.
Experienced asbestos lawyers win the largest settlements for their clients. It’s important to seek an attorney with a proven track record of success.
Successful asbestos attorneys are recognized by their peers and national organizations for going above and beyond for their clients’ legal rights.
Access to the proper resources is important for preparing a solid case. Experienced attorneys can access databases of information to support your lawsuit or claim.
Compassionate mesothelioma lawyers are sensitive and listen to your concerns. They seek to understand how asbestos exposure has affected your life.
02. Why Hire a Lawyer
Why Should You Hire a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
You should hire a mesothelioma lawyer to guide you through the process of seeking financial compensation. An experienced lawyer will help you determine your eligibility and secure the maximum compensation. A mesothelioma lawyer has the needed experience and expertise to fight for the compensation you deserve from negligent asbestos companies.
An Asbestos Attorney Can Provide:
A mesothelioma attorney can help you understand your financial compensation options, including settlements and asbestos trust fund claims.
Experienced lawyers have extensive knowledge of how to build the most effective cases. They understand asbestos laws and have a history of successful trials.
An experienced lawyer can help you gather evidence to support your case. This may include employment, military, residential and medical records.
Questions to Ask a Mesothelioma Attorney
Before hiring a mesothelioma lawyer, it’s important to do some research and ask questions of the law firm. During your consultation, you may consider asking the following questions to learn more about the law firm’s experience with mesothelioma cases:
- Do you specialize in mesothelioma and asbestos litigation?
- What types of claims and lawsuits do you have experience with?
- In what state will my lawsuit be filed?
- Will I need to travel?
- What does it cost for me to file a legal case?
- How are you compensated?
Top mesothelioma law firms have decades of experience in asbestos litigation and different types of legal claims. Lawyers at these nationwide firms will travel to you and can identify the best options to maximize your compensation.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients
We offer assistance to those navigating mesothelioma treatment decisions and medical-related financial difficulties. Click the links to learn more about help for veterans, experienced lawyers and financial support options.
03. Claims and Compensation
Types of Asbestos Lawsuits, Claims and Compensation
Types of mesothelioma compensation options include personal injury lawsuits, wrongful death lawsuits, class action lawsuits or VA claims. After reviewing your case, a legal team will decide which type of legal action to pursue. An asbestos attorney can help you file a lawsuit or claim to receive compensation.
Mesothelioma compensation may be awarded to victims of asbestos exposure after filing a lawsuit or claim. A mesothelioma lawsuit may result in a settlement. If the case goes to trial, plaintiffs may win compensation through a verdict. Victims may also be eligible for compensation from other types of claims. Financial compensation can help victims recover medical expenses, lost wages and other damages.
04. Statutes of Limitations
When Should You File a Mesothelioma Lawsuit?
Mesothelioma lawsuits must be filed within a specific time period after a mesothelioma diagnosis or death. This limit is called the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is typically 1 – 4 years but varies by state and type of lawsuit.
In the case of a mesothelioma personal injury lawsuit, the timeline starts after the patient’s diagnosis. For a mesothelioma wrongful death lawsuit, the statute of limitations begins following the death of a patient. The sooner you contact a mesothelioma lawyer, the sooner you may move forward with legal action.
05. Mesothelioma Expenses Covered
Expenses Covered by Compensation for Mesothelioma
Compensation from a mesothelioma case can help you pay for expenses related to your diagnosis. Working with an asbestos attorney can also help family members pay for medical or funeral expenses after the death of a loved one.
Mesothelioma-Related Expenses May Include:
- Lost wages from inability to work
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Travel and accommodations
06. Top National Law Firms
Top National Mesothelioma Law Firms
It’s important to choose a law firm with experience in mesothelioma litigation. The best asbestos lawyers work for national mesothelioma law firms and have access to a range of resources and information. We can connect you with a top law firm in order to gain the compensation you deserve.
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for representing more than 3,000 individuals who have been exposed to asbestos. ELSM works tirelessly to recover top settlements for its clients.
The Gori Law Firm has helped thousands of individuals recover mesothelioma compensation through a claim or verdict. Their attorneys have the knowledge and resources to fight negligent asbestos companies.
Simmons Hanly Conroy is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases. The firm has helped recover billions of dollars in asbestos verdicts and settlements on behalf of its clients.
Dean Omar Branham Shirley, LLP is dedicated to helping hardworking people seek compensation. The firm is experienced in fighting unsafe working conditions, dangerous products and corporate wrongdoing.
07. Find a Lawyer
Find a Mesothelioma Lawyer
Asbestos laws may vary from state to state, but an attorney can help you understand how they relate to your case. The best mesothelioma lawyers represent clients nationwide and can choose the proper venue for your case. They will file your case within the legal deadline to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
08. Common Questions
Common Questions About Mesothelioma Lawyers
When should I hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
- Mesothelioma lawsuits must be filed within a certain amount of time after diagnosis or death, according to each state’s statute of limitations. It’s best to contact a mesothelioma lawyer as soon as possible to ensure eligibility for compensation.
Am I eligible to file a mesothelioma lawsuit?
- Mesothelioma patients or their loved ones may be able to file a lawsuit if a death or diagnosis has occurred as a result of asbestos exposure. A mesothelioma lawyer will listen to your story and review your eligibility.
Can I sue for asbestos exposure?
- If you have an injury as a result of asbestos exposure, you may be able to sue the responsible company or companies. A successful asbestos liability claim will result in damages to the victim from the negligent company. Typically, asbestos exposure alone is not enough to file a lawsuit or claim. Victims must have documentation of an asbestos-related disease diagnosis, such as mesothelioma or asbestos lung cancer.
How much does it cost to hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
- Many mesothelioma law firms offer free consultations and operate on a contingency basis, meaning they will only receive payment if their client is successfully awarded compensation. The percentage of compensation that the mesothelioma lawyer will receive is typically agreed upon between the lawyer and client before the case is filed.
How long does a mesothelioma claim or lawsuit take?
- The length of a mesothelioma lawsuit or claim can vary greatly depending on the individual case. For instance, if a lawsuit goes to trial, it may take longer to reach a verdict than it would to reach a settlement. Some asbestos trusts may settle a claim as soon as three to four weeks after filing. An asbestos attorney can help victims understand their individual circumstances.
How do I choose a mesothelioma lawyer?
- Victims and loved ones should keep various factors in mind when choosing a mesothelioma law firm, such as:
- Experience with handling successful mesothelioma and asbestos cases
- Free case evaluations with no upfront legal costs
- Proven record of winning large verdicts and settlements for their clients
- Resources to document and prove asbestos exposure history