How a Mesothelioma Lawyer Can Help You
Whether you’re a patient diagnosed with mesothelioma or a family member looking after someone who has been diagnosed, there are many ways that a mesothelioma lawyer can help you. From simply providing information on how to pursue legal action to performing detailed research, a good lawyer can offer assistance at any step during the legal process.
- A Free Consultation: A reputable lawyer will offer you a free case review, which will offer insight into your eligibility for a case, options for compensation and details on how to move forward with the process, if you decide to file a mesothelioma lawsuit.
- Available Compensation: A mesothelioma attorney can help you understand the many types of financial compensation that may be available to you, including settlements, verdicts and asbestos trust fund claims.
- Focused Legal Support: Mesothelioma lawyers have experience handling similar asbestos cases, understand past successful trials and current trials, as well as have knowledge on how to build the most effective cases.
- Research Assistance: Your lawyer can help you gather a variety of information to support your case, including employment, union, military, residential and medical records as evidence of asbestos exposure. They will also help you with depositions and witness or expert testimonies to support your case. A mesothelioma lawyer will also have experience gathering evidence for mesothelioma cases where time and cause of exposure are unknown.
- Venue Selection: A mesothelioma lawyer will coordinate scheduling and location needs to determine where your claim should be submitted and where your legal proceedings will be held.
- Case Management: Your mesothelioma lawyer will manage your case, performing necessary research and handlings, while keeping you informed on any potential developments. Effective case management will give you and your family the opportunity to focus on treatment, often allowing you to avoid travel and court appearances, as well.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients
Mesothelioma and the Law
There are many legal questions that you may have when considering filing a mesothelioma claim and throughout the legal process. Below are a list of questions to consider, as well as resources to better your understanding. A mesothelioma lawyer can also provide you with personalized advice for your individual case.
Top Mesothelioma Law Firms in the U.S.
It’s crucial for patients to choose a lawyer with experience in mesothelioma litigation. The best asbestos lawyers work for national mesothelioma law firms, granting them access to a range of resources and information that smaller, less experienced lawyers are unlikely to have, giving you the best chance at gaining the compensation you deserve.
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hard-working men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including, but not limited to, state of residence, job sites and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.
Mesothelioma Lawyer Directory
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia
Commonly Asked Mesothelioma Lawyer Questions
Asbestos laws and litigation can be complex and difficult to understand if you’ve never had any legal experiences. A mesothelioma lawyer can provide you with a free consultation to get answers to all of your questions, while also giving you an idea of what to expect if you decide to pursue an asbestos lawsuit.
Below is a list of common questions mesothelioma victims and their loved ones may ask when considering their legal options, however, it’s important to note that details may vary based on individual cases.
When should I hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
Patients or their loved ones should contact a mesothelioma lawyer as soon as possible after receiving a mesothelioma diagnosis. The statutes of limitations put deadlines in place for taking legal action, which could hinder your ability to receive compensation. Each state in the United States has its own statute of limitations. In general, patients often have 1 – 3 years after their diagnosis to take legal action.
An experienced asbestos attorney can help you and your family understand timelines, all of your legal rights and potential avenues for compensation. If you decide to pursue a lawsuit, your attorney can begin researching your case right away.
Am I eligible to file a mesothelioma lawsuit?
Due to the long latency period of mesothelioma, some patients aren’t diagnosed until decades after exposure, making them wonder if it’s too late to file a mesothelioma lawsuit, especially if asbestos companies are no longer in business. However, asbestos trust funds are set up to provide victims with compensation for years to come, which mesothelioma lawyers have experience with.
Why should I hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
A lawyer that specializes in asbestos cases is different in that they have important experience dealing with similar cases. They understand the asbestos legislation, have experience gathering evidence related to asbestos exposure and know what to expect in terms of compensation for asbestos victims. Mesothelioma lawyers have experience gaining many different forms of compensation, including veterans’ benefits, settlements or verdicts from a mesothelioma lawsuit, claims against an asbestos trust fund and disability benefits.
How much does it cost to hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
If you hire a reputable law firm, you will receive a free case evaluation and usually face no up-front costs. Most mesothelioma lawsuits are handled on a contingency-fee basis, so you won’t have to pay any fees unless your case is won, and fees will not be due until you receive your compensation.
Costs will vary for each case, but if you don’t have to go to trial, expenses are usually 3 – 5% of your award. Experienced lawyers and law firms know how to keep costs down, understanding the financial burden that you and your family are already facing.
How long will it take to receive compensation after I hire a lawyer?
Every individual case is different, so there is no way to tell exactly how long it might take to receive compensation from a particular claim. It can take months just to gather the appropriate information and documents necessary to simply file a claim. Once the claim is filed, the timeframe to reach a settlement or, if you go to trial, receive a jury award may range from months to years.
An experienced mesothelioma lawyer will be able to provide a realistic idea of how long it may take for you to receive compensation once they know the details of your case. However, it should be understood that the actual timeframe for receiving compensation is an estimate and may be subject to change over the course of the legal proceedings.