01. Mesothelioma Treatment in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama Mesothelioma Treatment
Mesothelioma patients in Birmingham have nearby options when seeking treatment for mesothelioma. They may find specialized treatment and care at cancer treatment facilities right in Alabama. They may also choose to travel to out-of-state facilities in Georgia or Tennessee.
Cancer centers that specialize in treating asbestos-related diseases have multidisciplinary teams of thoracic and lung cancer specialists who use a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation to treat their patients. Patients may be eligible to participate in clinical trials through these cancer centers.
Cancer Centers for Mesothelioma Serving Birmingham, Alabama
Several cancer centers in and around Birmingham offer mesothelioma treatment and care.
The Kirklin Clinic of University of Alabama (UAB) Hospital is located directly in Birmingham. This center is home to the O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center, which serves mesothelioma patients.
Other options for mesothelioma treatment in the region include the Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, located in Atlanta, Georgia. Birmingham patients may also choose to travel to the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville, Tennessee, for treatment.
The Kirklin Clinic of University of Alabama (UAB) Hospital
Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University
Georgia Cancer Specialists and Northside Hospital Cancer Institute
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
02. Mesothelioma Doctors in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama Mesothelioma Doctors
Patients seeking medical care at cancer centers near Birmingham have access to mesothelioma doctors with expertise in treating mesothelioma. Specialists involved in a mesothelioma patient’s treatment plan may include medical oncologists, pulmonologists, thoracic surgeons and pain-management experts, among others.
Francisco Robert-Vizcarrondo, M.D.
Benjamin Wei, M.D.
Seth D. Force, M.D.
Suresh S. Ramalingam, M.D.
Jess D. Schwartz, M.D.
Eric S. Lambright, M.D.
Kamran Idrees, M.D.
Robert A. Ramirez, M.D.
03. Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Birmingham residents and workers who develop mesothelioma may be eligible for compensation. Asbestos victims have filed mesothelioma lawsuits and claims against those responsible for their exposure. Workers and residents in Birmingham have filed successful asbestos lawsuits against responsible parties, resulting in financial compensation.
Finding a Lawyer or Law Firm in Birmingham, Alabama
Anyone exposed to asbestos in Alabama at a commercial, residential or military site who has been diagnosed with mesothelioma may be entitled to compensation.
Asbestos-exposure victims in Birmingham should seek help from experienced mesothelioma law firms. Mesothelioma lawyers can provide guidance to patients and their families throughout the filing process. These attorneys are experienced in handling Alabama mesothelioma lawsuits and have a full understanding of Alabama laws that impact legal options.
Deadlines for Filing Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Birmingham, Alabama
Mesothelioma attorneys can help patients or their surviving loved ones understand asbestos laws and regulations in Alabama. They can also help clients navigate the filing process and understand the statutes of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits.
Statutes of Limitations for Birmingham
Claims must be filed within 2 years after an asbestos-related diagnosis.
Claims must be filed within 2 years after an asbestos-related death.
Mesothelioma attorneys can file lawsuits on behalf of asbestos-disease victims or their families. Experienced lawyers in Birmingham can help win lawsuits and settlements for those diagnosed with mesothelioma after being wrongfully exposed to asbestos.
Examples of clients who have been assisted in Birmingham, Alabama, include:
Jobsites Worked at: Ingalls Shipbuilding (1958 – 1960); USS Linden (1958 – 1960)
Occupations: Army, Welder
Jobsites Worked at: SBJ Holdings, Inc. (1984 – 1990); Voigt-Abernathy Sales Corporation (1981 – 1983)
Occupation: Air Force
Jobsites Worked at: Alabama State Military Department (1981 – 1995); Floor Engineers, Inc. (1969 – 1978); U.S. Air Guard (1973 – 1990)
Occupations: Pipefitter, Boiler insulation worker
Jobsites Worked at: Stockham Valve & Fittings, Inc. (1960 – 1978)
04. Asbestos Use in Birmingham
Asbestos Use in Birmingham, Alabama
Many buildings in Birmingham, including fire and police stations, have been recognized as asbestos exposure sites. In recent years, several of these facilities have been temporarily closed for asbestos removal and repairs. The asbestos in these aging buildings may pose a health risk to Birmingham workers and residents.
Residents may also be at risk from asbestos-containing products in their homes. Many homes contain old asbestos siding, insulation or roofing material that can release asbestos fibers in the air. Demolition, construction and remodeling can expose homeowners to asbestos.
Manufacturing facilities in Birmingham used asbestos in a multitude of construction products, putting workers at risk. Many industries in Birmingham, such as steel production, have also exposed workers to asbestos.
United States Steel Corporation factories in Birmingham exposed workers to asbestos for decades. Asbestos exposure at steel factories was frequent because workers processed ore in ways that created a lot of asbestos dust. Birmingham Steel Corporation and Conners-Weyman Steel Co. are known asbestos exposure jobsites in Birmingham.
Fire Stations With Asbestos in Birmingham, Alabama
Bhate Environmental Associates, Inc. tested the air quality at Fire Station 27 and detected the presence of asbestos fibers. Bhate’s testing also found floor tiles and air ducts that contained asbestos.
As a result of the testing, repairs were made to Fire Station 27 to ensure safe working conditions. The city acknowledged that other fire stations and city facilities built between 1956 and 1963 might also be potential asbestos exposure sites. Birmingham’s Mayor Randall Woodfin promised these other fire stations and facilities would also be evaluated for asbestos concerns.
Birmingham, Alabama Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A.P. Green Refractories Company
- ADCO Companies
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- Alabama By-Products Corporation (ABC Coke)
- Alabama Consolidated Coal and Iron Company
- Alabama Fuel and Iron Company
- Alabama Oxygen Company, Inc.
- Alabama Porcelain Enamel Company
- Alabama Power & Light Company
- Alabama Power James H. Miller Generating Plant
- Alabama Rug & Linoleum Company
- Alabama Steel & Shipbuilding Company
- Alabama Steel and Wire Company
- Alabama Steel Drum Service, Inc.
- Allegheny Industrial Electric Company, Inc.
- Alliance Chemical
- Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation
- Alpha Portland Cement Company
- American Automatic Railway Switch Company
- American Cast Iron Pipe Company (ACIPCO)
- American Water Works & Electric Company
- Amsler Morton Company
- Anniston Boiler and Sheet Iron Works
- Armstrong Contracting & Supply Corporation (ACandS, Inc.)
- Avondale Mills
- Avondale Stove and Foundry Company
- Badham Insulation Company, Inc.
- Barbour Plumbing and Heating Company, Inc.
- Bayliss Machine & Welding Company, LLC
- Berman Bros. Iron & Metal Company, Inc.
- BERMCO Aluminum
- Bessemer Coal, Iron and Land Company
- Bickerstaff Clay Products Company, Inc.
- Birmingham (Bham.) Boiler & Engine
- Birmingham Electric Company
- Birmingham Fabrication and Bolt Company
- Birmingham Flooring Company
- Birmingham Gas Heating and Air Conditioning Company
- Birmingham Horse Shoe & Rolling Mills Company
- Birmingham Hospital
- Birmingham Ice & Cold Storage Company Building
- Birmingham Linen Supply Company
- Birmingham Machine and Foundry Company
- Birmingham Railway, Light & Power Company
- Birmingham Rug & Linoleum Company
- Birmingham Steam Laundry Company
- Birmingham Steel Corporation
- Birmingham Stove & Range Company
- Birmingham Terminal Railway Company
- Birmingham Water Works
- Brentnall Furniture Manufacturing Company, Inc.
- Brice Building Company
- Bristol Steel & Iron Works, Inc.
- Caldwell Foundry & Machine Company, Inc.
- Carpenters Local Union Number 127
- Ceco Steel Products Corporation
- Chicago Bridge & Iron Company (CB&I)
- Combustion Construction Company
- Combustion Improvement Company, Inc.
- Conners-Weyman Steel Co.
- Continental Can Company, Inc.
- Continental Gin Company
- Crane Supply Company
- Crawford Boiler & Steel Company, Inc.
- Cudahy Company
- Daniel Construction Company, Inc.
- Dixie Bronze Company
- Drever Southern Metal Treating, Inc.
- Duffner Boiler & Iron Works, Inc.
- Dupont’s Powder Plant
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- East Thomas Shops
- Edmond F. Hinds
- Ellert Contracting
- Elyton Land Company
- Empire Coke Company
- Ennis Insulation Company
- Ensley TCIC Steelworks
- Fairmont Foundries
- First National-Southern Natural Building (Regions Center)
- Foremost Dairies of Florida, Inc.
- Gloss-Sheffield Steel and Iron Company
- Golden Flake Snack Foods
- Goldstein’s Furs
- Goslin-Birmingham Manufacturing Company
- Grayson’s Delicious Ice Cream, Inc.
- Green County Steam Plant
- Gulf States Creosoting Company
- Gulf States Steel Company
- Gunns Power Plant Avondale
- H. K. Porter Company, Inc.
- Hardy Corporation
- Hardy Tynes Manufacturing
- Hayes Aircraft Corporation
- Hill & Griffith Company
- Hill Grocery Company, Inc.
- Industrial Air Engineering
- Industrial Boiler Works
- Ingalls Iron Works
- Ingalls Steel Company
- International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 312
- Jacksonville Soil Pipe and Foundry Company, Inc.
- James B. Clow & Sons, Inc.
- Jefferson Brick and Supply Company, Inc.
- Jefferson Foundry Company
- Jim Walters Company
- Kaul Lumber Company
- L & N Railroad
- Lone Star Industries, Inc.
- Louis Pizitz Dry Goods Company
- M. Kimerling & Sons, Inc. (MKS Holdings)
- Marion County Nursing Home
- Mason & Dulion Co., Inc.
- Masonic Temple Building
- Matthews Electric Supply Company, Inc.
- Maxwell Air Force Base 42nd Medical Group
- Maxwell Air Force Base Library
- McCain Engineering Sales Co., Inc.
- McConnell Sales & Engineering Corporation
- McWane Cast Iron Pipe Company
- McWane, Inc.
- Mead Corporation
- Moffatt Plumbing & Heating Company
- Moore-Handley Hardware Company
- National Gypsum Company
- Norfolk Southern Railroad
- North Alabama Turn Company
- North Brothers, Inc.
- Old CSX Railroad Boyles Yard
- Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation
- Palmer & Lawrence, Inc.
- Pioneer Fabricating Company
- Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Company
- Pressure Cast Products Co., Inc.
- Protective Life Insurance Company
- Republic Steel Corporation
- Reynolds Aluminum Recycling Company
- Rust Engineering Company
- Schwobilt Clothing Company
- Scott-Glenn Company, Inc.
- Sears, Roebuck and Company
- Sheet Metal Air Rail and Transportation Local 48
- Shook & Fletcher Insulation Co.
- Sloss Industries
- Sloss-Sheffield Steel & Iron Company
- Southeastern Greyhound Bus Terminal
- Southeastern Ice Corporation
- Southern Cement Company
- Southern Cotton Oil Company
- Southern Detinning Company
- Southern Iron and Steel Company
- Southern Railway Company
- St. Margaret Hospital
- Stockham Valves & Fittings, Inc.
- Talladega College
- Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company
- Tennessee Land Company
- The Starr Company
- Thomas C. Brasfield, Inc.
- Thomas Foundries, Inc.
- Tidewater Construction Company
- Tuskegee VA Medical Center
- Tutwiler Coal, Coke and Iron Company
- Tutwiler Hotel
- U.S. Pipe & Foundry Company
- Union Carbide Corporation
- United Engineering & Foundry Company
- United States Steel Corporation
- University Medical Center at the University of Alabama
- University of Alabama – Central Utilities Facility
- V-C Chemical Company, Inc.
- Virginia Chemicals, Inc.
- Vulcan Materials Company
- Western Grain Company
- Whaley Company, Inc.
- Wimberly & Thomas Hardware Company, Inc.
- Woodward Iron Company