The village of Strawbery Banke was settled in 1630, named for the wild strawberries which grew along the Piscataqua River. Ideally situated for river and sea trading, the village quickly grew into an active shipping port. Lumber, fishing and shipbuilding were early sources of revenue. In the early 19th century, a series of fires caused whole sections of the downtown area to be rebuilt in brick. Many of these buildings still stand and have been preserved by the Historic District Commission. The Industrial Revolution actually saw some economic decline in Portsmouth, as manufacturing shifted to other New Hampshire mill towns with greater water power. An 1877 map of Portsmouth shows a single mill, three lumber yards, two breweries, a shipyard and a shoe factory as notable businesses. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, which occupies an island in the middle of the river, has provided employment for Portsmouth and Kittery residents since 1800. In the early 20th century, companies such as White Mountain Paper Company and shipbuilder Atlantic Corporation were unable to establish a firm foothold in Portsmouth. Today, financial and service industries, as well as tourism, form a large part of the city’s economic base.
Portsmouth’s legacy of shipbuilding, coupled with active preservation of historic structures makes asbestos exposure, and the risk of mesothelioma, an ongoing concern. We provide mesothelioma treatment options in and around Portsmouth at the bottom of this page. If you or a loved one have been exposed to asbestos in Portsmouth, you may benefit by seeking counsel from a mesothelioma lawyer.
01. Exposure Sites
Other Asbestos Sites in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Mesothelioma.com has compiled information obtained from a number of sources to identify the following jobsites in Portsmouth where asbestos exposure was known to have occurred. These sites are listed below.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- Abraham Lincoln
- Am. Agricultural Chemical Company
- Army Air Force Base
- Atlantic Corporation
- Bureau of Supplies and Accounts
- Eastern Oil and Rendering Company
- Federal Post Office & Office Building
- John Adams
- National Gypsum Plant
- New England Power Co.
- New Hampshire Gas & Electric Company
- Pease Air Force Base
- Portsmouth Air Force Base
- Portsmouth Federal Building
- Portsmouth High School
- Portsmouth Hospital
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
- Portsmouth Navy Yard
- Portsmouth Telephone Building
- R.B. Phillips Manufacturing Company
- Rockingham County Light and Power Company
- Ryan Estate
- Sand Lance
- Schiller Power Station (Boilers 4, 5 & 6)
- Sea Dragon
- Standard Plumbing & Heating Supply, Inc.
- United States Navy Yard
- Wentworth By The Sea
- White Mountain Paper Company
Mesothelioma Doctors near Portsmouth, NH
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of mesothelioma doctors that are located within a 100-mile radius of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Please click on a doctor link to obtain more information about his/her background, areas of expertise, professional affiliations, and office locations.
Gary M. Hochheiser, M.D.
Richard L. Kradin, M.D.
Michael S. Kent, M.D.
Pasi A. Janne, M.D.
Scott J. Swanson, M.D.
David J. Kwiatkowski, M.D.
Raphael Bueno, M.D.
David J. Finley, M.D.
Konstantin H. Dragnev, M.D.
Jack A. Elias, M.D.
Anthony Testa, M.D.
Sundaresan T. Sambandam, M.D.
John Pella, M.D.
03. Cancer Centers
Find a Cancer Center near Portsmouth, NH
For your convenience, we have prepared the following list of mesothelioma cancer centers located within a 100-mile radius of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Please click on a cancer center link to obtain more detailed information about the resources available at each one.
Maine Medical Center Cancer Institute
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Norris Cotton Cancer Center
Lifespan Cancer Institute, Rhode Island Hospital
04. Support Services
Cancer Support Services Near Portsmouth, NH
While receiving treatment, mesothelioma patients may find a need for temporary lodging, patient transport, physical therapy or counseling. We have compiled a list of these cancer support services near Portsmouth, New Hampshire for your convenience.
New Hampshire Treatment and Support Services
- Look Good Feel Better, Multiple Locations
- Pastoral Counseling Services
- Catholic Charities – New Hampshire
- Bedford Counseling Associates
- eHope Foundation
- Boston Medical Center Solomont Center for Hematology and Oncology
- Mayor’s Health Line
- Cancer Care
- Memorial Hospital
- Boston Housing Authority
- AstraZeneca Hope Lodge – Boston
- American Cancer Society – Maine Hotel Partner Program
- American Cancer Society – Massachusetts Hotel Partner Program
- Maynard House
- Rest Easy – Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Alliance for Better Long Term Care
- Hotel Keys of Hope – ACS
- Entourage Transportation
- Gentle Care Ride
- Regional Transportation Program, Inc.
- Central Boston Elder Services
- Med Tech Ambulance Service
- Accu Tran Ambulance Service
- Portsmouth Regional Hospital
- Exeter Hospital Physical Therapy
- Concord Hospital Rehab Services
- Roger Williams Cancer Center
- Rhode Island Hospital, The Comprehensive Cancer Center
05. Filing a Lawsuit
Filing an Asbestos Lawsuit in Portsmouth, NH
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos at a commercial, residential or military site in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t lose your right to file a claim. You must act quickly and file your claim within the appropriate statute of limitations for the state of New Hampshire.
06. Law Firms
Legal Help for Portsmouth Residents
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hardworking men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.