01. Where to Find Mesothelioma Treatment in Maine
About Mesothelioma Treatment in Maine
Maine residents exposed to asbestos may develop related diseases, like mesothelioma. Residents can seek mesothelioma treatment within the state. Alternatively, they may choose to travel to nearby states like Massachusetts. These neighboring states are home to acclaimed mesothelioma cancer centers like the Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Patients should seek care at a cancer center with a history of treating mesothelioma. Care teams at these centers include experienced mesothelioma doctors. These specialists understand the latest treatment methods and can help patients achieve their best prognoses.
Maine Mesothelioma Statistics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) statistics show the impact of mesothelioma in Maine:
- 537 mesothelioma diagnoses (1999 – 2019)
- 490 mesothelioma deaths (1999 – 2020)
- 278 asbestosis deaths (1999 – 2017)
These numbers may seem small, as they only number in the hundreds. However, when compared to Maine’s small population, it reveals that the state has the highest mesothelioma death rate in the country. This may be because of the state’s long history of shipbuilding, an industry with historically high asbestos use.
02. Cancer Centers
Mesothelioma Cancer Centers in Maine
Quality cancer treatment services are available at mesothelioma treatment centers in Maine. Click on a specific cancer center link below to get more detailed information.
Maine Mesothelioma Cancer Clinics
Maine Medical Center Cancer Institute
MaineGeneral Medical Center
Maine Mesothelioma Doctors
The following mesothelioma doctors and oncologists in Maine have the expertise to diagnose mesothelioma and develop a personalized treatment plan. Click on a doctor’s profile below to learn more about their background, areas of expertise, professional affiliations, office locations and contact information.
Maine Mesothelioma Doctors
Seth D. Blank, M.D.
Gary M. Hochheiser, M.D.
Occasionally, mesothelioma patients will travel to other states to meet with top mesothelioma doctors and thoracic surgeons. For Maine residents, this may include Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients
04. Clinical Trials
Mesothelioma Clinical Trials in Maine
Clinical trials can provide patients access to cutting-edge mesothelioma treatments. These treatments often aim to help patients improve their prognoses. The following clinical trials are in progress or actively recruiting participants in the state of Maine:
Conditions: Neoplasms, Multiple Myeloma, Pancreatic Neoplasms, Esophageal Neoplasms, Endometrial Neoplasms, Thyroid Neoplasms, Mesothelioma, Neuroendocrine Tumors, Salivary Gland Neoplasms, Anus Neoplasms, Gallbladder Neoplasms, Bile Duct Neoplasms, Oropharyngeal Neoplasms, Nasopharyngeal Neoplasms, Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma, Urethral Neoplasms, Vaginal Neoplasms, Laryngeal Neoplasms, Mouth Neoplasms, Adenomatous Polyposis Coli, Colorectal Neoplasms, Hereditary Nonpolyposis, Testicular Neoplasms, Intestinal Neoplasms, Hypopharyngeal Neoplasms, Penile Neoplasms, Ureteral Neoplasms, Neoplasms, Plasma Cell, Peritoneal Neoplasms, Paranasal Sinus Neoplasms, Neoplasms, Unknown Primary, Duodenal Neoplasms, Lip Neoplasms, Thymus Neoplasms, Paraproteinemias
Last Updated: August 9, 2023
Locations: Colorado Springs, CO. Denver, CO. Durango, CO. Lakewood, CO. Littleton, CO. Longmont, CO. Louisville, CO. Parker, CO. Pueblo, CO. Westminster, CO. Daytona Beach, FL. DeLand, FL. Orange City, FL. Palm Coast, FL. Aurora, IL. Moline, IL. Yorkville, IL. Fort Wayne, IN. Indianapolis, IN. Indianapolis, IN. Indianapolis, IN. Kokomo, IN. Council Bluffs, IA. Davenport, IA. Spencer, IA. Waterloo, IA. Overland Park, KS. New Orleans, LA. Portland, ME. Randallstown, MD. Westminster, MD. Holyoke, MA. Ann Arbor, MI. Aitkin, MN. Brainerd, MN. Duluth, MN. Duluth, MN. Fergus Falls, MN. Marshall, MN. Joplin, MO. Kansas City, MO. Kansas City, MO. Kansas City, MO. Liberty, MO. Saint Joseph, MO. Kalispell, MT. Missoula, MT. Hastings, NE. Norfolk, NE. North Platte, NE. O'Neill, NE. Omaha, NE. Omaha, NE. Omaha, NE. Scottsbluff, NE. Glens Falls, NY. Utica, NY. Fayetteville, NC. Fargo, ND. Minot, ND. Pittsburgh, PA. Aberdeen, SD. Mitchell, SD. Sioux Falls, SD. Sioux Falls, SD. Yankton, SD. Yankton, SD. Yankton, SD. Rutland, VT. Fredericksburg, VA. Appleton, WI. Brookfield, WI. Franklin, WI. Mequon, WI. Milwaukee, WI. Oshkosh, WI. Racine, WI. Wauwatosa, WI.
Conditions: Carcinoma, Neoplasms, Carcinoma, Squamous Cell, Adenocarcinoma, Neoplasms, Germ Cell and Embryonal, Mesothelioma, Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma, Cholangiocarcinoma, Carcinoma, Basal Cell, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors, Carcinoid Tumor, Carcinoma, Transitional Cell, Carcinoma, Adenoid Cystic, Adenocarcinoma of Lung, Teratoma, Carcinoma, Neuroendocrine, Pheochromocytoma, Seminoma, Cystadenocarcinoma, Serous, Choriocarcinoma, Carcinoma, Endometrioid, Cystadenocarcinoma, Paraganglioma, Chordoma, Hemangiosarcoma, Fibromatosis, Aggressive, Adenocarcinoma, Mucinous, Nerve Sheath Neoplasms, Trophoblastic Neoplasms, Gestational Trophoblastic Disease, Neurofibrosarcoma, Thyroid Neoplasms, Fibroma, Cystadenocarcinoma, Mucinous, Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, Vulvar Neoplasms, Sex Cord-Gonadal Stromal Tumors, Adrenocortical Carcinoma, Carcinoma, Islet Cell, Paget Disease, Extramammary, Adenocarcinoma, Papillary, Carcinoma, Acinar Cell, Adenocarcinoma, Bronchiolo-Alveolar, Neoplasms, Unknown Primary, Mixed Tumor, Mullerian, Carcinoma, Giant Cell, Adenocarcinoma, Clear Cell
Last Updated: August 1, 2023
Locations: Birmingham, AL. Mobile, AL. Anchorage, AK. Miami Beach, FL.
05. Support Services
Find Cancer Support Services in Maine
A mesothelioma cancer diagnosis can place a strain on a patient’s physical and mental well-being, as well as those around them. Patients and their loved ones can seek support to help them through these difficult times.
Cancer support services for mesothelioma patients and survivors include cancer rehabilitation, counseling, extended stay housing, oxygen supplies and patient transport.
Patients may find support services at their cancer center or through external organizations. For example, the Maine Medical Center Cancer Institute is part of the larger MaineHealth Cancer Care Network. This network provides patients with access to a range of cancer support services, including pain management, physical rehabilitation and support groups.
The following local services may be helpful while receiving treatment for mesothelioma cancer in Maine.
Maine Treatment Support Services
- Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center Lewiston 207-795-2440
- Dempsey Center South Portland 877-336-7287
- Maine Strong Balance Center Scarborough 207-303-0612
- Saco Bay Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy Scarborough 207-396-5165
Counseling & Support
- Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center Ellsworth 207-664-0339
- Cancer Hope Network Statewide 877-467-3638
- Dempsey Center Lewiston 877-336-7287
- Look Good Feel Better Statewide 800-395-5665
- Maine Cancer Resource Network Statewide 866-446-4865
Extended Stay Housing
- Arbor House Lewiston 207-795-2691
- Gary's House Portland 207-535-1320
- Hotel Keys of Hope Portland 800-227-2345
- Sarah's House of Maine Holden 207-989-1683
- Black Bear Medical Portland 207-871-0008
- Coastal Med Tech Bangor 207-848-7730
- Pulmonary Support Services Caribou 207-498-6739
- Rotech Hermon 207-848-9093
- American Cancer Society Road to Recovery Statewide 800-227-2345
- Ameritrans Statewide 866-872-6453
- York County Community Action Corporation Sanford 207-324-5762
- York Hospital York 207-351-3413
06. Common Questions
Common Questions About Maine Mesothelioma Treatment
Can I receive financial assistance for mesothelioma treatment in Maine?
- Individuals exposed to asbestos in Maine may develop a related disease, like mesothelioma. Asbestos disease victims may be eligible for compensation. Patients can contact lawyers to file Maine mesothelioma lawsuits. An asbestos lawsuit can help patients receive money to cover medical expenses not covered by insurance.
How can I connect with top mesothelioma doctors outside of Maine for a second opinion or specialized treatment?
- Although Maine offers mesothelioma treatment, some patients may prefer to find out-of-state care. This may be for reasons like seeking a second opinion or different types of cancer treatment. Centers in nearby states like Massachusetts and Connecticut also offer access to top mesothelioma doctors.