Permanent settlement in what would become Toledo began in 1817, with the founding of Port Lawrence and Vistula. As the Miami and Erie Canal advanced, Port Lawrence and Vistula merged in 1833 in hopes of being chosen as the terminus location. The terminus was ultimately located further north, but the new town of Toledo still benefited from the canal access, and later, from the railroads. In 1888, the New England Glass Works moved to Toledo, changing its name to Libbey Glass Company in 1892. From 1935 to 1993, Libbey was part of Owens-Illinois, another Toledo-based glass company founded in 1929. In 1929, Spicer Manufacturing Company moved to Toledo to be closer to its customers, including the Willys-Overland Motor Company. War production helped sustain these companies through World War II, particularly Willys, which manufactured the iconic Jeep vehicle. The post-war years brought expansion and change: Spicer reorganized in 1946 as the Dana Corporation, and Willys was sold to Kaiser in 1953. Although manufacturing declined in the late 20th century, many of Toledo’s flagship companies are still in operation in some form. Libbey and O-I now operate as independent companies and the Jeep is made by Chrysler.
Toledo has a diverse history of manufacturing and heavy industry, much of it in fields known for their use of asbestos-containing materials. Workers exposed to asbestos may be at risk for mesothelioma. Mesothelioma clinics in and around Toledo are listed at the bottom of this page. Additionally, you should know that asbestos law firms represent people from Toledo who were exposed to asbestos and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma.
01. Exposure Sites
Other Asbestos Exposure Sites in Toledo, Ohio
Asbestos exposure in Ohio may have led workers and residents to develop an asbestos disease. If you worked at any of these companies and/or job sites in Toledo, Ohio, you may have been exposed to harmful asbestos which is known to cause mesothelioma cancer.
Toledo, Ohio Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A.P. Green Industries
- Acklin Stamping Company
- Allied Chemical Corporation
- Allied-Signal, Inc.
- America Weldless Steel Tube Company
- American Can Company Building
- American Creosoting Company
- American Mineral Spirits Company (AMSCO)
- American Motors Corporation (AMC)
- American Shipbuilding Company
- American Structural Products Company
- American Suede Shoe Company
- Ann Arbor Railroad Company
- Arbuckle-Ryan Company
- Armstrong Contracting & Supply Corporation (ACandS, Inc.)
- Asphalt Block Pavement Company
- Bayshore Power Plant
- Bechtol, Carney & Company
- BP America, Inc.
- BP Amoco Ohio
- BP Toledo Refinery
- Broadway High Service Pumping Station
- Brush-Wellman, Inc.
- Buckeye Brewing Company
- Bunting Bearings Corp.
- Bunting Brass and Bronze Company
- Catalytic Construction Company
- Central Avenue Shops
- Central Heating Company
- Champion Spark Plug Company
- Champlain Street Plant
- Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad
- Chevrolet Plant Building
- Chicago and Toledo Railway Company
- Chrysler Corporation (GM)
- Citizens Lighting and Heating Company
- City Auto Stamping Co., Inc.
- City of Toledo Water Works
- Cleveland, Painseville & Eastern Railway
- Consolidated St. Railway Company
- Continental Aviation and Engineering Company
- Dana Corporation
- Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station
- Detroit and Toledo Railroad
- Doehler-Jarvis Castings
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company
- Eagle-Picher Bearings Division
- Edward Ford Plate Glass Company
- Electric Autolite Company
- Elmhurst School C-959
- Federal Creosoting Company
- Federal Office Building (Summit Street)
- Ferro Corporation, Ottawa Chemical Division
- Fiberglass Tower
- Fluor Corporation
- Forest City Brewing Company
- Fred Christen & Sons Company
- General Electric Company
- General Mills Company
- General Motors Corporation
- General Tire & Rubber Company
- Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- Glendale Siding Plant
- Gulf Oil Refinery
- H.B. Milwine and Company
- Hilton Davis Chemical Company
- Hydro-Blast, Inc.
- I.D. Smead and Company
- Interlake Iron Corporation Buildings
- Interlake Steel Corporation
- Ironhead Marine, Inc.
- Jay L. Angel, Inc.
- Kaighin and Hughes, Inc.
- Kaiser Jeep Corporation
- Kimball Glass Company
- Lake Erie Water Project
- Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway
- Landers Corporation
- Larry L. Kaufman Company
- LaSalle Apartments
- Libbey-Owens-Ford Company
- Libbey-Owens-Ford Glass Company
- Lummus Company
- Mather Company
- Maumee Rolling Mill Company
- Mennel Milling Company
- Midland-Ross Corporation
- National Castings
- National Cement Products Company
- National Malleable & Steel Castings Company
- National Union Building
- Navarre Ave. Siding
- New York Central Railroad, Airline Junction Plant
- NL Industries, Inc.
- Nordyke and Marmon Company
- Northern Refrigerating Company
- Obear-Nester Glass Company
- Oglebay Norton Company
- Ohio Fuel Gas Company
- Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation
- Owens-Illinois Glass Company
- P.R. Sussman Company
- Perstorp Polyols Incorporated
- Phillips Petroleum Company
- Plibrico Sales & Services
- Port Lawrence Company Building
- Prestolite International Corporation
- Procon, Inc.
- ProMedica Toledo Hospital
- Pure Oil Company Refinery
- Republic Steel Corporation
- Riverside Mercy Hospital
- Rossford Ordnance Depot
- Rust Engineering Company
- Save Electric Company
- Scott High School
- Second Church of Christ Scientist
- Second National Bank Building
- Service Products, Inc.
- Sherium Metals
- Skeldon Engineering Company
- Sohio Refinery
- Spicer Manufacturing Company
- St. Vincent Medical Center
- Standard Oil Refinery
- Sun Oil Company Refinery (Sunoco)
- Surface Combustion Corporation
- Tecumseh Products, Acklin Stamping Division
- Teledyne CAE
- Teledyne Turbine Engines
- Textileather Corporation
- Tillotson Manufacturing Company
- Toledo and Indiana Railroad Company
- Toledo and Western Railway Company
- Toledo Blade
- Toledo Bolt and Nut Company
- Toledo Bridge and Crane Company
- Toledo Clinic
- Toledo Consolidated Street Railway Company
- Toledo Edison Acme Power Plant
- Toledo Edison Company
- Toledo Federal Office Building
- Toledo Furnace Company
- Toledo Gas, Electric and Heating Company
- Toledo Grain and Milling Company
- Toledo Marine Terminals, Inc.
- Toledo News Bee Company
- Toledo Shipbuilding Company
- Toledo Shot Div.
- Toledo State Hospital
- Toledo Steel Casting Company
- Toledo Steel Tube Company
- Toledo Storage Ice Company
- Toledo Transmission Operations Plant
- Toledo Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Toledo Water Works
- Toledo-Massillon Bridge Company
- Toledo, Columbus and Cincinnati Railway Company
- Toledo, St. Louis and Western Railroad Company
- U.S. Post Office Building
- U.S. Reduction Company
- Unitcast Foundry
- Vulcan Team Track
- Water Street Station
- Westinghouse Electric Company
- Willys-Overland Company (Willys-Overland Motors, Inc.)
- Wiltsie Realty Company
- Woolson Spice Company
- Wright Brothers Greenhouse Company
- WSPD Radio Broadcasting Studios
Find a Mesothelioma Doctor near Toledo, Ohio
For your convenience, we have prepared the following list of mesothelioma doctors located within a 100-mile radius of Toledo, Ohio. To view more information about the doctor’s background, areas of expertise, professional affiliations and office locations, please click on the doctor detail link provided.
Gregory P. Kalemkerian, M.D.
Shirish M. Gadgeel, M.D.
Ayman Soubani, M.D.
Nathan Pennell, M.D., Ph.D.
James Stevenson, M.D.
03. Cancer Centers
Locate a Mesothelioma Cancer Center near Toledo, Ohio
For your convenience, we have prepared the following list of mesothelioma cancer centers located within a 100-mile radius of Toledo, Ohio. Please click on a cancer center link to obtain more detailed information about the resources available at each one.
St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor Cancer Center
University of Michigan
Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
04. Support Services
Mesothelioma Patient Support Services near Toledo
While receiving treatment, mesothelioma patients may find a need for temporary lodging, patient transport, physical therapy or counseling. We have compiled a list of these cancer support services near Toledo, Ohio for your convenience.
Ohio Treatment Support Services
- Diane Morgan Group
- Transplant House
- TLC Transportation
- The Ride Public Transportation
- Xpress Transportation
- Michigan Transportation Services
- Detroit Medical Center Rehabilitation Services
- Sparrow Regional Cancer Center
05. Filing a Lawsuit
Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit in Toledo
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos at a commercial, residential or military site in Toledo, Ohio, you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t lose your right to file a claim. You must act quickly and file your claim within the appropriate statute of limitations for the state of Ohio. Several local and national law firms with experience in Ohio mesothelioma lawsuits can serve clients in the Toledo area.
06. Law Firms
Asbestos Lawyers Servicing Toledo, Ohio
Dean, Omar & Branham, LLP is a law firm dedicated to using the legal profession to make our community safer. When someone is badly hurt because someone else did not act reasonably, we are here to help provide whatever justice the legal system can give the family who has been wronged.
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hardworking men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including but not limited to state of residence, jobsites, and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.