01. Mesothelioma Treatment in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, Louisiana Mesothelioma Treatment
Baton Rouge residents diagnosed with mesothelioma have access to local treatment. For example, the Gayle and Tom Benson Cancer Center at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans is less than two hours from Baton Rouge. It is a national leader in lung cancer treatment, including mesothelioma lung cancers.
Mesothelioma patients should seek treatment from cancer centers with doctors who are experienced in treating this rare form of cancer. Mesothelioma treatment options may include surgery, radiation and/or chemotherapy. Patients may also have access to more recently developed therapeutics, such as immunotherapy or other experimental therapies.
Cancer Centers for Mesothelioma Serving Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Mesothelioma patients in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, may seek treatment at the Gayle and Tom Benson Cancer Center at Ochsner Medical Center. Ochsner is the only multidisciplinary program in the region to focus on advanced lung-saving therapeutic options for mesothelioma patients.
Baton Rouge patients may also seek treatment at the Lung Institute at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. The center treats patients at its Mesothelioma Treatment Center using a multimodal approach. This method involves a combination of one or more of the following modalities: surgery, radiation, chemotherapy and/or immunotherapy.
Both cancer centers are recognized for their leadership in diagnosing and treating mesothelioma, participation in groundbreaking clinical trials and top-notch support throughout treatment and beyond.
Lung Institute at Baylor College of Medicine
The Gayle and Tom Benson Cancer Center
02. Mesothelioma Doctors in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, Louisiana Mesothelioma Doctors
It is in the best interest of mesothelioma patients to seek treatment from doctors who specialize in treating this rare form of cancer. Mesothelioma doctors will be able to develop the individualized treatment aimed at achieving the best results for their patients.
Baton Rouge mesothelioma patients have access to several specialists within driving distance. For example, specialists at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans work as a team to provide quality cancer care to their patients. Doctors at this facility are recognized for using technological advances and procedures to deliver minimally invasive surgical techniques when treating mesothelioma patients. They are also actively involved in clinical research. Eligible patients may be able to participate in clinical trials.
Robert A. Ramirez, M.D.
Brian L. Pettiford, M.D.
03. Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, Louisiana Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Claims filed against asbestos companies can provide mesothelioma patients and their loved ones opportunities for compensation. Options for Baton Rouge mesothelioma patients may involve filing a lawsuit, which may result in a mesothelioma settlement or jury verdict. Other options for compensation may include trust fund claims, VA claims and workers’ compensation.
Asbestos victims and their families should use an experienced mesothelioma law firm. Mesothelioma lawyers can help decide which compensation options to pursue based on an individual’s unique case.
Finding a Lawyer or Law Firm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It is important to hire an experienced mesothelioma law firm with a successful history of Louisiana asbestos litigation. This offers asbestos victims the best opportunity to obtain the compensation they deserve. Compensation can help cover lost wages, assist with treatment-related medical expenses and/or offer financial security.
Mesothelioma patients in Baton Rouge should seek legal assistance from a nationwide law firm that understands Louisiana’s state laws and how they may impact filing requirements. Law firms with experience serving Louisiana clients include:
Deadlines for Filing Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Statutes of limitations outline state-specific deadlines that determine when patients and/or families can file an asbestos lawsuit. Experienced mesothelioma lawyers will be aware of relevant deadlines for filing a case in Louisiana.
Statutes of Limitations for Baton Rouge
Claims must be filed within 1 year after an asbestos-related diagnosis.
Claims must be filed within 1 year after an asbestos-related death.
It is important for mesothelioma patients and/or their loved ones to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. This is necessary to ensure the claim will fall within the statute of limitations.
Successful claims resulting in financial compensation for asbestos victims have been filed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Examples of clients who have been compensated from cases filed in Baton Rouge include:
Occupations: Plant worker, Shipyard worker
Jobsites Worked at: Cajun Insulation (1989 – 1991)
Jobsites Worked at: Stone & Webster Construction Inc. (2000 – 2001)
Occupations: Navy, Machinist
Jobsites Worked at: Coast Bottlers (1951 – 1953)
Jobsites Worked at: American Properties (1989 – 1991); C & N Grocery (1991)
04. Asbestos Use in Baton Rouge
Asbestos Use in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Baton Rouge, the capital city of Louisiana, began to develop as a hub of industrial activity at the turn of the 20th century. It is located along the Mississippi River, near oil fields and other natural resources. This paved the way for Baton Rouge to become a major port city for ships and a thriving industrial center for oil and chemical manufacturers.
From the early 1900s until the 1980s, asbestos use was commonplace in the oil refinery business and in the construction of homes and other buildings in Baton Rouge.
As a result, employees of ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge and their families may have been exposed to asbestos, putting them at risk for mesothelioma.
Asbestos at ExxonMobil in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
ExxonMobil Baton Rouge was originally established in 1909 as the Standard Oil Company. The Baton Rouge Refinery remains in operation today as one of the largest oil refineries in the United States.
Oil refineries used many asbestos products. The high heat and chemical resistance of asbestos made it an ideal product for gaskets, valves and insulation. ExxonMobil Baton Rouge used asbestos at its refinery, chemical plant and aboard ships operating on the Mississippi River.
Lawsuits filed over the years claim ExxonMobil was aware of the dangers asbestos posed to its workforce. They allege the company did not make an effort to notify its employees of the danger of inhalation nor provide them with safety measures to protect themselves.
In 2001, a jury awarded the family of a Baton Rouge ExxonMobil refinery worker $5 million in damages after he passed from mesothelioma. The worker was routinely exposed to asbestos while working at the refinery.
An experienced mesothelioma law firm can help oil refinery workers and other individuals impacted by asbestos exposure in Baton Rouge. Lawyers at these firms can help asbestos victims decide which legal options to pursue to attain the compensation they deserve.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- Aber Company, Inc.
- Albemarle Corporation
- Allied Chemical and Dye Corporation
- Allied Signal, Inc.
- Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA)
- Anco Insulations, Inc.
- ARCO Polymers
- Avondale Shipyards, Inc.
- B&B Engineering & Supply Company, Inc.
- Barnard and Burk Industrial Corporation
- Baton Rouge City Dock
- Baton Rouge Electric Company
- Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport (Ryan Field)
- Baton Rouge School Board Buildings and Facilities
- Baton Rouge Water Department
- Best Manufacturing, Inc.
- Big Cajun 1 Power Plant
- Boilermakers Local Union Number 582
- Bolton Company, Inc.
- Borden Chemical, Inc.
- Broadmoor Middle School
- Cajun Electric, LLC
- Cambon Team Track
- Central Middle School
- Charity Hospital
- Consolidated Chemical Industries, Inc.
- Copolymer Rubber & Chemical Corporation
- Crawford & Company
- Delta Southern Company
- Delta Southern Railroad Company
- Delta Tank Manufacturing Company Plant
- Dow Chemical Company
- DuPont Company
- Dupree Construction Company, Inc.
- Eagle Asbestos & Packing Company, Inc.
- East Ascension High School
- Enjay Chemical Company
- Entergy Gulf States Louisiana, LLC
- Esso Oil Company
- Esso Standard Oil Company
- Ethyl Corporation
- ExxonMobil Baton Rouge Refinery
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- Firestone Complete Auto Care
- First Baptist Church of Baton Rouge
- Foster Grant Chemical Plant
- Foster Grant Company
- General Chemical Division
- Georgia Pacific Corporation
- Grace Chemical Research and Development
- GSU/Willow Glen Power Plant
- Gulf States Utilities Company
- HBM River Plant, Inc.
- Hercules, Inc.
- Herrin Transfer & Warehouse Company, Inc.
- Hullinghorst Industries, Inc.
- Humble Oil and Refining Company
- IFC Kaiser Engineers, Inc.
- Insulation Engineers, Inc.
- JTT Warehouse
- Kaiser Aluminum
- Kaiser Gypsum Company, Inc.
- Kaiser Steel Corporation
- La-Mo Refractory Supply Co.
- Louisiana Department of Education
- Louisiana Department of Education Buildings and Facilities
- Louisiana State Penitentiary
- Louisiana State University
- Louisiana Steam Generating Corporation
- Louisiana Steam Products Co.
- Lurgi-Knost, Inc.
- M-Tec/Rise, Inc.
- Maryland Tank Farm
- Mayer Goodraux
- McCarty-Branton, Inc.
- McKinley High School
- McKinley Middle Magnet School
- Mechanical Insulation Company
- Mengel Box Company
- Midstream Fuel Service, Inc.
- Millwright/Steelworkers Local Union Number 720
- Mississippi Chemical Corporation
- Monochem, Inc.
- North Baton Rouge Development Company, Inc.
- Office of State Buildings
- Paxon Polymer Company LP
- Peoples Laundry
- Permanente Metals Corporation (PMC)
- Ramsay Scarlett Company
- Reilly-Benton Company, Inc.
- Rhone-Poulenc, Inc.
- River Bend Nuclear Generating Station
- Rollins-Purle, Inc.
- Rust Engineering Company
- Scotlandville Magnet High School (SMHS)
- Shell Convent Refinery
- Shell Geismar Chemical Plant
- Shintech Vinyl Chloride Monomer (VCM) Plant
- Solvay Process Company
- South Greenville Elementary School
- South Spur Concrete
- Southern University and A&M College
- St. Pius X Catholic Church
- Standard Asbestos Manufacturing & Insulating Company
- Standard Oil Company
- Standard Oil Company of Louisiana
- Standard Oil Company of New Jersey
- Standard Oil Refinery
- Stauffer Chemical Company
- The Wilson Steel Company, Inc.
- Union Brewery Company Building
- Uniroyal Chemical Company, Inc.
- W.H. Myrick Construction Company, Inc.
- W.R. Grace
- Woodlawn High School (WHS)