01. Mesothelioma Treatment in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas Mesothelioma Treatment
Patients in San Antonio have local options for mesothelioma treatment. The Greater San Antonio area and other nearby cities offer access to expert medical care. Treatment may help mesothelioma patients extend survival. In many cases, mesothelioma treatment may also improve patient quality of life.
Cancer Centers for Mesothelioma Serving San Antonio, Texas
The Mays Cancer Center is a cancer center designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). NCI-designated centers receive funding from the agency to further cancer research. The Mays Cancer Center is known for its comprehensive treatment and well-developed research programs.
Mays Cancer Center
02. Mesothelioma Doctors in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas Mesothelioma Doctors
Patients may also choose to travel to nearby Houston, Texas, for mesothelioma treatment. Houston is home to several doctors specializing in mesothelioma diagnosis and treatment. Some of these doctors are also actively involved in research. This can help patients access new treatments in clinical trials.
Kemp Kernstine, M.D.
Shawn S. Groth, M.D.
Anne S. Tsao, M.D.
Kanwal Raghav, M.D.
David C. Rice, M.D.
Robert Taylor Ripley, M.D.
Cesar A. Moran, M.D.
Bryan Burt, M.D.
03. Mesothelioma Lawsuits in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas Mesothelioma Lawsuits
If you were exposed to asbestos in Texas at a commercial, residential or military site and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to compensation. Many individuals may have been exposed to asbestos in San Antonio. When asbestos exposure results in health issues, individuals may choose to file a mesothelioma claim or asbestos lawsuit.
Depending on their situation, some asbestos victims may also file workers’ compensation or asbestos trust fund claims. Individuals file these claims against negligent asbestos companies, organizations and employers responsible for the exposure.
Finding a Lawyer or Law Firm in San Antonio, Texas
Filing a mesothelioma and asbestos claim can be a difficult process. Individuals should contact an experienced San Antonio mesothelioma lawyer to understand their legal options.
Deadlines for Filing Mesothelioma Lawsuits in San Antonio, Texas
Common claimants in the San Antonio area include military personnel, construction workers and factory workers. Claims must show proof of wrongful exposure and an asbestos-related diagnosis. Victims and/or loved ones must also submit claims within the state’s statute of limitations.
Statutes of Limitations for San Antonio
Claims must be filed within 2 years after an asbestos-related diagnosis.
Claims must be filed within 2 years after an asbestos-related death.
Successful lawsuits and claims may result in compensation from a mesothelioma settlement or jury award. Financial compensation can help individuals and their family members pay for expenses related to their diagnosis.
Examples of clients served in San Antonio include:
Occupation: Household worker
Jobsites Worked at: Gualberto Marrero MD. PA (1982 – 1983); San Antonio Diagnostic & Surgical Center PA (1983)
Occupation: Dental assistant
Jobsites Worked at: Kelly Air Force Base (1952 – 1985)
Occupations: Navy, Self-employed
Jobsites Worked at: Elo Exterminating Co. (1954 – 1971); Elo Pest Control Inc. (1972 – 1994)
Occupation: HVAC worker
Jobsites Worked at: Bill Embrey Heating and Air Conditioning (1970 – 2008); Brauning Power Plant (1954 – 1965); Brown & Root (1964 – 1965); Schoenfield Land Co Inc. (1962 – 1964); Staff Professionals Inc. (1990 – 1994); Travel Ease Inc. (2001 – 2005)
04. Asbestos Use in San Antonio
Asbestos Use in San Antonio, Texas
Residents and workers in San Antonio, Texas, may have been exposed to asbestos. Asbestos is a mineral with many applications. Major San Antonio industries used asbestos, including the military, oil refineries and manufacturers.
Asbestos was also commonly included in residences and public buildings. Individuals exposed to asbestos are at risk of developing mesothelioma and other asbestos illnesses.
San Antonio, Texas Homes and Asbestos
Building materials produced before the 1980s often contained asbestos. Construction workers used asbestos products for insulation and flame resistance.
Older homes may contain:
These asbestos construction materials are often disturbed during renovations and after normal wear and tear.
Residential asbestos exposure can affect homeowners, landlords, tenants, visitors and contractors. Any residential structure built before 1980 may contain asbestos products. Homeowners may hire asbestos abatement contractors to remove dangerous asbestos.
Landlords and contractors who don’t observe proper removal procedures may face fines.
San Antonio, Texas Construction Companies Face Asbestos Fines
In 2012, the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) found multiple violations at a San Antonio apartment complex. The violations took place during renovations at the Reserves at Pecan Valley apartments.
The DSHS referred these violations to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). As a result, city officials fined seven construction companies for not following federal and state asbestos regulations. The contractors were cited for a total of 46 violations and fined $148,000.
Violations included failure to:
- Remove asbestos hazards
- Ensure employees work in regulated areas
- Perform air monitoring for asbestos
- Require the use of proper respiratory and personal protective equipment
- Train workers on asbestos handling hazards
- Ensure a qualified professional conducted an asbestos assessment
Asbestos is common in homes. Residents, homeowners and buyers should be aware of potential asbestos threats. Before construction or renovation, homeowners should contact an asbestos abatement professional to ensure any asbestos is handled safely.
San Antonio, Texas Military and Asbestos
San Antonio has a large military presence and history. The military used asbestos in many settings, including:
There are several military bases around San Antonio, including Randolph Air Force Base and nearby Laughlin Air Force Base. Reports show instances of asbestos exposure in various San Antonio military facilities.
In 2019, several military families stationed at Randolph and Laughlin Air Force Bases filed a lawsuit against Hunt Military Communities for poor living conditions. The lawsuit cited numerous complaints, including airborne asbestos. Some members of the families reported respiratory symptoms from these hazards.
Housing communities were not the only military facilities in San Antonio to contain asbestos. The Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans’ Hospital was also inspected for the dangerous mineral. In 2015, federal investigators from the Office of Special Counsel confirmed claims of asbestos exposure at the hospital.
According to the report, supervisors instructed hospital maintenance and operations workers to remove asbestos from the hospital. These materials included asbestos-containing ceiling tiles and drywall. The claim also alleged the hospital administration failed to provide the workers with personal protective equipment (PPE).
San Antonio, Texas Drinking Water and Asbestos
Asbestos in drinking water has been a concern across the country, including Texas. As asbestos water pipes age, high levels of the mineral may release into residents’ drinking water.
Town officials in Devine, Texas, warned residents of elevated levels of asbestos in the town’s drinking water in December 2016. Devine is about 40 miles southwest of San Antonio.
The warning came after testing found asbestos levels in Devine drinking water were more than twice the federal limit.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality did not order the town to shut off its water supply. The mayor of Devine claimed the high levels of asbestos were likely a “sampling problem.” At the time of the warning, town officials stated the water was still safe to drink. Since then, the city has sought grants to replace the asbestos pipes.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has warned about consuming water with high asbestos levels over an extended period. These citizens face an increased risk of developing benign intestinal polyps. Researchers continue to study the impact of asbestos in drinking water.
San Antonio, Texas Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A.P. Green Industries
- ACandS, Inc.
- AGE Refining, Inc.
- Alamo Distilling Company
- Alamo Heights High School
- Alamo National Bank
- Aluminum Company of America
- American Can Company
- American Linen Supply
- APG Fire Brick Company of Texas
- Bank of San Antonio
- Bernard Harris Office Building
- Best Products Company
- Bexar County Hospital
- Bexar County Medical School
- Bexar County National Bank
- Blanco Apartments
- BNSF Railway Company
- Brackenridge Park Golf Course
- Brady Medical Clinic
- Braunig Power Station
- Broadway National Bank
- Brooks Air Force Base
- Buena Vista WIC Clinic
- Caduceus Nursing Home
- Camelot Elementary School
- Camp Bullis Military Training Reservation
- Capitol Aggregates, Inc.
- Casa de Mexico Teatro
- Century Building
- Cerebral Palsy Association
- Chamber of Commerce Building
- CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital
- Chromalloy American Corp., Turbine Plant
- Churchill National Bank
- Citizens Bank
- City Public Service Board
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company
- College Park Apartments
- Colonial Hills Elementary School
- Colonial National Bank
- Columbia Heights Elementary School
- Combustion Engineering
- Continental Arms Apartments
- Coronado Village Elementary School
- CPS Energy
- Crockett Elementary School
- Crossroads Mall
- Crown Tower Office Building
- Cummins Diesel Project
- Datapoint Corporation
- Denny’s Restaurant
- Dentler-Facs Company
- Diagnostic Clinic of San Antonio
- Dial Corporation
- Dwight Middle School
- East Houston Street Shopping Center
- Edgewood Elementary School
- Eisenhower Middle School
- El Dorado Elementary School
- Elliott Jones & Co., Inc.
- Espey Silica Sand Company
- Express Publishing Company
- F. F. Collins Manufacturing Company
- Fire Training & Service Center
- First Federal Savings and Loan Association
- First National Bank
- Foreign Nations Buildings
- Fort Sam Houston
- Fox Technical High School
- Friedrich Air Conditioning
- Frito-Lay, Inc.
- Frontier Meat Company
- Frost Bank
- G.W. Mitchell Construction Corporate Office
- Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway Company
- Garner Junior High School
- Gaylord Container Company
- Gebhardt Mexican Foods Company
- General Supply Company
- Georgian Apartments
- Gill Company Building
- Globe Discount Stores
- Golden Manor Jewish Home for the Aged
- Goodfriends Department Store
- Government Credit Union Building
- Government Personnel Mutual (GPM) Life Insurance Company
- Grace Lutheran Hospital and Sanatorium
- Gus Garcia Middle School
- H.B. Zachry Company Buildings
- Handy Andy Bakery
- Hillside Manor Nursing Home
- Holiday Inn
- Housing for the Elderly
- International Harvester
- Jackson Middle School
- Jackson-Keller Elementary School
- Japanese Tea Garden
- Jewish Community Center
- Jim’s Coffee Shop
- Joeris General Contractors, Ltd.
- John F. Kennedy High School
- John Jay High School
- John Marshall High School
- K. O. Steel Construction, Inc.
- Kallison Buildings
- Kangaroo Court
- Kelly Air Force Base
- Kerrville State Hospital
- Kindred Elementary School
- La Louisiane Restaurant
- Lackland Air Force Base
- Lackland Air Force Base Wilford Hall Medical Facility
- Landmark One Office Building
- Las Palmas Shopping Center
- Lauge Soap Company
- Laughlin Air Force Base
- Leon Creek Power Plant
- Liberty Mills Plant
- Linde Air Products Company
- Liquid Carbonic Corporation
- Lone Star Brewery
- Longhorn Portland Cement Company
- Los Angeles Mansion Hotel
- Luby’s Cafeteria
- Luther Burbank High School
- Lutheran General Hospital
- Lynwood Brick & Tile Company
- M. E. Bullock Manufacturing Company
- MacArthur High School
- Magic Time Machine Restaurant
- Main Savings Bank
- Mark Twain Middle School
- Martin Linen Service
- McCreless Building
- McNay Art Museum
- Menger Hotel
- Methodist Hospital Plaza
- Milam Building
- Milk Producers Association
- Mirasol Homes Day Care Center
- Mission Concrete Pipe Company
- Mission Pharmacal Company
- Mission Road Power Plant
- Model FHA House
- Monarch Refining Company
- Morningside Manor Nursing Home
- Nathaniel Hawthorne Academy
- National Bank of Commerce
- National Linen Service
- National Service Industries
- NBC Office Building
- North East Independent School District Schools
- Northside State Bank
- Northview Park Towers
- O. W. Sommers Power Plant
- O’Neil Ford Residence
- Oak Hill Country Club
- Oblate School of Theology
- Old San Francisco Steak House
- Oliver Wendell Holmes High School
- Olmos Construction
- Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church
- Our Lady of the Lake University
- Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation
- P F Stewart Elementary School
- Palo Alto Elementary
- Park North General Hospital
- Park Terrace Apartments
- Parker Fallis Insulation Company, Inc.
- Pearl Brewing Company
- Pioneer Flour Mills
- Post Laundry
- Press Center
- Public Service Works
- Ramada Inn
- Randolph Air Force Base
- Robert B. Green Memorial Hospital
- Roegelein Provision Company
- Rosa Verde Medical Facility
- Rosedale Elementary School
- Sam’s Center
- San Antonio City Water
- San Antonio College
- San Antonio Community Hospital
- San Antonio Convention Center
- San Antonio Fair Association
- San Antonio Fire Department, Station 34
- San Antonio Gas and Electric Company
- San Antonio Hospital
- San Antonio Independent School District
- San Antonio Info Center
- San Antonio International Airport
- San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind
- San Antonio Machine and Supply Company
- San Antonio Public Service Company
- San Antonio State Hospital
- San Antonio Street Railway Co.
- San Antonio Water System
- San Antonio Water Works Company
- Santone Automotive
- Sarah S. King Elementary School
- Schenck Elementary
- Sears, Roebuck & Company
- Shearer Hills Baptist Church
- Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
- Sidney Lanier High School
- Sommers Drug Company
- South Texas Cancer Radiation Treatment Center
- Southern Pacific Lines
- Southern Pacific Railroad Company
- Southern Steel Company
- Southwest Bell Telephone Company
- Southwest Methodist Hospital
- Southwest Research Institute
- Southwest Texas Methodist Hospital
- Southwestern Bell Telephone Company
- Southwestern Motor Transport, Inc.
- St. Anthony Hotel
- St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital
- St. Mary’s University
- St. Mary’s University School of Law Faculty Building
- St. Scholastica Monastery
- Standard Brands
- Steves & Sons, Inc.
- Stockman’s Cafe
- Sunshine Industries, Inc.
- Sunshine Laundry Company
- Superior Woodwork & Trim, LLC
- Swift Movers LLC
- Texas Steam Laundry Company
- Texas Vegetable Oil Company
- The Argyle Club
- The Facs Company
- Todd-Ford, Inc.
- Tom Benson Chevrolet Service Center
- Tower of the Americas
- Town & Country Fashions
- Trinity University
- U.S. Post Office
- UNAM San Antonio
- University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA)
- University of the Incarnate Word College
- Valero Energy Corporation
- VIA Metropolitan Transit Building
- Villita Assembly Building
- W.B. Tuttle Natural Gas Power Plant
- Walco Department Store
- Walnut Manor Apartments
- Walzem Elementary School
- Ward Community Center
- Webb Hall
- Wedgewood Apartments
- Wilford Hall Medical Facility
- William M. Pearce Elementary School
- Windsor Park Bank
- Winston Churchill High School
- Witte Museum
- Wonder Chemical Company
- YMCA of Greater San Antonio
- YMCA of Greater San Antonio, Downtown