Following the Civil War, Tampa’s economy struggled up until the mid 1880s when phosphate was discovered in the Bone Valley region of the city. Soon thereafter Tampa began mining and exporting phosphate and continues to do so today, earning the nickname of “phosphate capital of the world”. After construction of the railroad the steel industry was introduced to Tampa. Companies such as Tampa Steel Erecting Company, Florida Steel Corporation, and Robert J. Clark Tampa Steel Erecting Company activated facilities in the city. The mid 20th century witnessed the emergence of two coal-fired power plants in Tampa; Big Bend Powerhouse and Hookers Power Plant opened their doors, with several plants such as Black Point Powerhouse and Lakeland Power Plant following in their steps. Many acquisitions took place over the years however Florida Power & Light Company is one of the main owners and operators. Additionally, Tampa is home to Tampa Shipyards, Inc., formerly McCloskey & Co. At one time the shipyard was also known as Tampa Ship Repair & Dry Dock Company. Tampa’s location on Florida’s western coast makes it an ideal site for a shipyard, as it is directly accessible from the Gulf of Mexico.
Tampa’s active manufacturing, shipyard and construction industries commonly use asbestos products and have therefore put workers at risk for asbestos exposure. If you have been diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma in Tampa, you may benefit from contacting Dr. Lary Robinson. Additionally, you should know that mesothelioma law firms represent people from Tampa who were exposed to asbestos and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma.
01. Exposure Sites
Asbestos Exposure at Jobsites in Tampa
The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance has compiled information obtained from a number of sources to identify the following jobsites in Tampa where asbestos exposure was known to have occurred. These sites are listed below.
Tampa, Florida Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A.P. Green Industries
- Acousti Engineering Company of Florida
- Adamo Insulation
- Aerodyne Investment Castings, Inc.
- Airstron, Inc.
- Alafia Lutz Job
- Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
- Badger Daylighting, Inc.
- Barnett Bank of Tampa
- Bay-Con General, Inc.
- Big Bend Power Station
- Black Point Power Station
- Board of Education
- Bucyrus-Erie Company
- Buell Engineering
- Cameron & Barkley Company
- Chemex Paint & Coatings, Inc.
- Citro Dry, Inc.
- Consolidated Citrus Limited Partnership
- Continental Can Company
- Dixie Linen and Uniform Company
- Florida Portland Cement Company
- Florida Power & Light Company
- Florida Steel Corporation
- Gannon Station Power Station
- Gardinier, Inc.
- Gaylord Container Corporation
- General Portland Cement Company
- Glidden Durkee Company
- Gulf Brass Works
- Gulf Electric Company
- Gulf Marine Repair
- Gulf Tampa Drydock Company
- Heat & Frost Insulation
- Hendry Corporation
- Herman Sausage Company
- Hillsboro Hotel
- Hillsborough County Animal Control
- Hillsborough County Courthouse
- Hookers Point Station
- James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital
- Johns‐Manville Sales Corporation
- Lakeland Electric
- Linde Air Products Company
- MacDill Air Force Base
- Memorial Hospital of Tampa
- Mid Valley Service Corporation
- Misener Marine Incorporated
- Nitram Chemicals, Inc.
- North Brothers, Inc.
- Ocean Shipholdings, Inc.
- Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation
- Painters Union
- Palmetto Beach Railroad Shop
- Paul Smith Contracting Company
- Phosphate Terminals
- Polk County Board of County Commissioners
- Port Sutton Terminal
- Portland Gasoline Company
- Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company
- Sol Walker Company
- Southern Brewing & Winery
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- Stone and Webster
- Tampa Armature Works
- Tampa Bay Hotel
- Tampa Electric Company
- Tampa General Hospital
- Tampa International Airport
- Tampa Municipal Hospital
- Tampa Post Office
- Tampa Ship Repair & Dry Dock Company
- Tampa Shipbuilding Company
- Tampa Steel Erecting Company
- Tampa Street Railway and Power Company
- Tampa Tank, Inc.
- Tampa Water Works Park
- Thatcher Glass Manufacturing Company
- The Artisan
- Thompson Hayward Siding
- Tiffany Tile Corporation
- TSR Corporation
- U.S. Phosphoric Productions
- Union Carbide Corporation
- University of South Florida
- Westinghouse Electric Corporation
Tampa, Florida Mesothelioma Doctors
We have compiled a list of mesothelioma doctors that practice within a 100-mile radius of Tampa, Florida. Click on a specific doctor link to obtain more information about their areas of expertise, background, professional affiliations, and office locations.
Tawee Tanvetyanon, M.D.
Eric Toloza, M.D.
Lary A. Robinson, M.D.
Alberto A. Chiappori, M.D.
03. Cancer Centers
Locate a Mesothelioma Cancer Center near Tampa
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of mesothelioma cancer centers that are located within a 100-mile radius of Tampa, Florida. Please click on a cancer center link to obtain more information about the clinical programs offered, areas of expertise and how to contact the cancer center.
Moffitt Cancer Center
UF Health Cancer Center
04. Support Services
Cancer Support Services Near Tampa, Florida
The following cancer support services may be of help to you while you are receiving treatment for mesothelioma. Support services for mesothelioma patients include patient transport, temporary housing, physical therapy and counseling.
Florida Treatment Support Services
- Joe’s House
- WeCare Medical Transportation
- Medical Transport Services
- Florida Medical Transportation
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- Florida Hospital Cancer Institute
05. Filing a Lawsuit
Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit in Tampa
If you were exposed to asbestos at a commercial, residential or military site in Tampa, Florida and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t lose your right to file a lawsuit to hold those responsible accountable. You must act quickly and file your claim within the appropriate statute of limitations for the state of Florida.
06. Law Firms
Mesothelioma Law Firms Servicing Tampa, Florida
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hardworking men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including but not limited to state of residence, jobsites, and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.