The Reconstruction Era brought the Virginian Railway and Jamestown Exposition to the city of Norfolk. The area’s first major shipyard, Norfolk Shipyard, served as a site for ship repair, construction, and ship stationing, however, the U.S. Navy had not yet established itself in Norfolk. It was not until immediately after the United States entered World War I that the Secretary of the Navy purchased 474 acres of land to begin construction of the naval base. By 1918, Naval Station Norfolk was complete and over 34,000 enlisted men were located at the base. Norfolk Naval Shipyard was expanded in World War II, more than doubling its physical size. The shipyard employed 43,000 personnel and built 6,850 vessels during its peak from 1940 to 1945. Today, the military maintains a major presence in the city, playing an important role in defense contracting with special emphasis on shipbuilding and ship repair businesses. Norfolk’s second largest industry based on economic impact is the region’s cargo ports; in 2006, Norfolk’s three main terminals handled over 475,000 tons of cargo, making it the second busiest port on the North American east coast.
Norfolk’s profound military, industrial, and construction history places the city in a high-risk category for asbestos exposure. Workers exposed to asbestos-containing products have the chance of developing mesothelioma, an asbestos-related lung cancer. Mesothelioma cancer centers in and around Norfolk are listed at the bottom of this page. Additionally, if you were exposed to asbestos in Norfolk and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should consider contacting an asbestos law firm.
01. Exposure Sites
Other Asbestos Exposure Sites in Norfolk, Virginia
Individuals who worked around Virginia asbestos exposure sites may have developed an asbestos-related disease. If you worked at any of these companies and/or job sites in Norfolk, Virginia, you may have been exposed to harmful asbestos which is known to cause mesothelioma cancer.
Norfolk, Virginia Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A. Lynn Thomas Company, Inc.
- Algonquin Apartments
- Allied Chemical Corporation
- Allied Marine Industries, Inc.
- Ames & Webb, Inc.
- Amoco Corporation
- Atlantic Fleet Intelligence Center
- Aviation General Supply Depot
- B. F. Diamond Construction Company, Inc.
- Bay Shore Terminal Company
- Bureau of Steam Engineering
- Bureau of Yards and Docks
- C. E. Thurston & Sons, Inc.
- C. E. Thurston & Sons, Inc.
- Chesapeake Transit Company
- City Gas Company
- City Sewer Pumping Station
- Colonna’s Shipyard, Inc.
- Commonwealth Storage and Ice Company
- Culture & Convention Center
- DePaul Hospital
- Farmers Fertilizer Corporation
- General Services Administration
- Grumman Ecosystems Corporation
- Gulf Refining Company
- Hampton Roads Army Terminal
- Industrial Power Equipment Company
- International Association of Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers
- L.S.T. Shipping
- Lamberts Point Coal Terminal
- Langley Air Force Base
- Liberty Baptist Church
- Lone Star Cement Corporation
- Lyon Shipyard
- Metro Machine Corporation
- Military Circle Shopping Center
- Monticello Hotel
- National Bulk Carriers, Inc.
- National Gas and Construction Company
- National Linen Service Company
- Naval Supply Depot
- Newport News Shipbuilding
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Beltline
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Traction Company
- Norfolk & Western Railroad
- Norfolk & Western Steamer Warehouse
- Norfolk Civic Center
- Norfolk Creosoting Company
- Norfolk Iron Company, Inc.
- Norfolk Linen Service Corporation
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard
- Norfolk Naval Station
- Norfolk Portland Cement Corporation
- Norfolk Railway and Light Company
- Norfolk Refrigeration and Storage Company
- Norfolk Shipbuilding & Drydock Corporation
- Norfolk Southern Railway
- Norfolk State University
- Norfolk, Portsmouth and Newport News Railway Company
- North Western Virginia Railroad
- Page Leigh and Grover
- Petroleum Fuel & Terminal Company
- Portsmouth Power Station
- Reeves Avenue Substation
- Reilly Tar and Chemical Company
- Scope Complex
- Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- South Norfolk Memorial Library
- Swift & Company
- Tidewater Construction Corporation
- Transco Energy Company
- U.S. Naval Air Station
- U.S. Naval War College
- Union Camp Corporation
- Virginia Electric & Power Company
- Virginia Railway and Power Company
- Virginia Wesleyan University
- Welding Shipyard
- William H. Swan & Son, Inc.
- Wood Preservers, Inc.
- YMCA Building
Mesothelioma Doctors near Norfolk, Virginia
We have gathered below a list of mesothelioma doctors and oncologists that practice near Norfolk, Virginia. Click on a specific doctor link to obtain more information about their areas of expertise, background, professional affiliations, and office locations.
Ryan Gentzler, M.D.
Christine L. Lau, M.D.
03. Cancer Centers
Contact a Cancer Center near Norfolk, Virginia
We have compiled a list of mesothelioma cancer centers within a 100-mile radius of Norfolk, Virginia. Click on a specific cancer center link to obtain more information about the clinical programs offered, affiliated mesothelioma doctors and how to contact the cancer center.
Virginia Oncology Associates
Virginia Commonwealth University
04. Support Services
Mesothelioma Patient Support Services near Norfolk
While receiving treatment, mesothelioma patients may find a need for temporary lodging, patient transport, physical therapy or counseling. We have compiled a list of these cancer support services near Norfolk, Virginia for your convenience.
Virginia Treatment Support Services
- Riverside Cancer Care Center
- Delta Medical Transport
- VCU Massey Cancer Center
05. Filing a Lawsuit
Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit in Norfolk
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos at a commercial, residential or military site in Norfolk, you may be entitled to compensation. Don’t lose your right to file a Virginia asbestos lawsuit to hold responsible parties accountable. You must act quickly and file your claim within the appropriate statute of limitations for the state of Virginia.
06. Law Firms
Asbestos Lawyers Who Represent Norfolk Residents
Early, Lucarelli, Sweeney and Meisenkothen is a national law firm recognized for its representation of over 3,000 hardworking men and women who have been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma. ELSM’s experience in asbestos litigation spans four decades.
At The Gori Law Firm, we have handled hundreds of mesothelioma lawsuits on behalf of people throughout the United States. This experience allows us to choose jurisdiction in which to file your case based on many factors including but not limited to state of residence, jobsites, and previous and current employers.
As one of the nation’s leading mesothelioma law firms, Simmons Hanly Conroy has a proven track record. Every mesothelioma lawyer at the firm is committed to helping families affected by mesothelioma and asbestos-related diseases.
Simon Greenstone Panatier, PC Our is comprised of experienced trial attorneys who possess knowledge and familiarity with asbestos-related diseases. We believe that those injured by careless asbestos exposure have the right to fair recompense for their suffering, and we are committed to holding the reckless companies responsible.