01. Mesothelioma Treatment in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan Mesothelioma Treatment
Asbestos exposure in Michigan may have led workers and residents to develop an asbestos disease. Grand Rapids, Michigan, residents who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma should seek treatment at specialized cancer centers. Patients can find mesothelioma treatment options in Detroit, Michigan, or travel to facilities in Illinois. Doctors at these facilities offer patients a personalized medical plan using cutting-edge treatment options. Patients may also be eligible to participate in clinical trials locally or out of state.
Cancer Centers for Mesothelioma Serving Grand Rapids, Michigan
Mesothelioma patients in Grand Rapids can seek care in Michigan from a variety of cancer centers that serve the city and its surrounding areas.
In Detroit, Michigan, the University of Michigan offers mesothelioma treatment options, including hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) and surgery. Doctors may also work together to offer multimodal treatment. Patients may also be eligible for clinical trials at this cancer center.
Patients may also choose to seek treatment outside of Michigan. For example, City of Hope Chicago is a cancer center located in Zion, Illinois. City of Hope Chicago specializes in both pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma. Treatment options include HIPEC and extrapleural pneumonectomies.
Patients can also access support services at these centers and other local facilities. For instance, patients and their loved ones may join support groups, seek spiritual care and more.
02. Mesothelioma Doctors in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan Mesothelioma Doctors
Each mesothelioma case is unique, and care depends on a wide range of factors. Experienced mesothelioma doctors can create a personalized plan for each patient. They strive to improve patients’ length and quality of life by optimizing treatment plans.
Due to the nature of mesothelioma, it is important to find a specialist who has treated mesothelioma patients in the past. A Grand Rapids patient may already be under the care of a local medical oncologist. A mesothelioma specialist may be able to review their oncologist’s treatment plan. A specialist will understand the latest treatments and can determine the best options to potentially extend survival.
03. Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Mesothelioma patients and their loved ones may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. There are several types of mesothelioma compensation available to victims and their families including, mesothelioma settlements, asbestos trust fund claims and lawsuit verdicts.
An experienced mesothelioma lawyer can determine which compensation options Michigan asbestos victims may be eligible for and guide them through the filing process. Compensation awards can be used for lost wages, medical expenses and financial security for loved ones.
Finding a Lawyer or Law Firm in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Asbestos victims in Grand Rapids should seek legal guidance from a law firm experienced in asbestos litigation in the state of Michigan. Lawyers at mesothelioma law firms understand state laws and how they impact filing requirements.
Experienced mesothelioma lawyers can assist Grand Rapids residents and their loved ones in pursuing the best compensation options for their unique cases. Compensation outcomes may include mesothelioma settlements, jury verdicts or trust fund claims.
Compensation can assist mesothelioma victims with medical expenses, treatment-related travel, accommodations, lost wages and personal damages due to pain and suffering. If a patient has passed away due to mesothelioma, compensation can help surviving loved ones pay for funeral expenses and provide long-term financial security for the family.
An experienced mesothelioma law firm will have the resources and staff to secure the compensation victims and their families deserve.
Deadlines for Filing Mesothelioma Lawsuits in Grand Rapids, Michigan
The timelines for filing personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits depend on when injury or death occurred. These timelines are specific to each state and set by the statutes of limitations. Mesothelioma lawyers will help Grand Rapids clients file lawsuits within the appropriate timeline.
Statutes of Limitations for Grand Rapids
Claims must be filed within 3 years after an asbestos-related diagnosis.
Claims must be filed within 3 years after an asbestos-related death.
Victims and their families may have options other than filing lawsuits in Michigan. Mesothelioma victims or their families can seek counsel with asbestos lawyers. These lawyers can help clients understand their options for filing claims or lawsuits. If exposed outside Michigan, lawyers may suggest filing a lawsuit through another state.
Additionally, lawyers may suggest filing claims against asbestos bankruptcy trusts when applicable. This depends on clients and any exposure at approved jobsites.
Examples of clients served in the greater Grand Rapids area include:
Occupations: Coast Guard, Shipyard
Jobsites Worked at: Harco Graphic Products, Inc. (1988 – 1989)
Occupations: Bricklayer, Household
Jobsites Worked at: Interstate Motor Freight System (1963)
Occupations: Truck driver, Boat builder
Jobsites Worked at: Keeler Brass Co. (1966)
Occupations: Navy, Electrician
Jobsites Worked at: Lear Corporation (1951 – 1963); Lear Siegler (1964 – 1977); Lear Siegler/Smith Industries (1979 – 1985); Tel Autograph (1948 – 1951)
04. Asbestos Use in Grand Rapids
Asbestos Use in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Grand Rapids was once a prominent industrial manufacturing area in the United States. The city has continued to be a center for various industries and businesses. For much of Grand Rapids’ history, asbestos was commonly used in construction. Many workers at companies in Grand Rapids were exposed to asbestos on the job. Known asbestos exposure companies include Brillcast Inc., Fisher Body Corporation and American Box Board Company.
Claimants have successfully filed various lawsuits against these companies. Since the 1980s, asbestos practices and regulations have improved. But asbestos exposure continues in Grand Rapids to this day. For example, an asbestos exposure incident was reported in 2019 at the North Park Montessori School.
Asbestos Exposure at Grand Rapids, Michigan Public Schools
In 2019, students at the North Park Montessori School in Grand Rapids had to complete their school year at an alternate location. This was the result of improper handling of asbestos materials during school renovations. Grand Rapids Public Schools (GRPS) was fined for violations of asbestos mitigation standards.
Multiple other companies were also ordered to pay fines for this exposure incident. GRPS began testing air samples when the construction management team found potential asbestos. Health officials said staff, students and workers may have breathed in asbestos dust.
Anyone who has been exposed to asbestos or is experiencing symptoms of mesothelioma can seek medical care.
Grand Rapids, Michigan Jobsites Where Asbestos Exposure Occurred
- A. P. Green Industries
- Acme Insulations, Inc.
- Airport Siding
- Aladdin Welding Products, Inc.
- Alex Stafford Siding
- Alexander Stafford Corporation
- American Box Board Company
- American Seating Company
- Arbuckle-Ryan Company
- Architectural Systems, Inc. (ASI)
- B&G Terminal
- Barclay, Ayers & Bertsch Company
- Belknap Wagon and Sleigh Company
- Berkey & Gay Furniture Company
- Bissell Plant
- Blandin Paper Company
- Blodgett Memorial Hospital
- Bouma Corporation
- Brillcast Inc.
- Burn Zol Company
- C.G.A. Voigt & Company
- Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Railway
- Commonwealth Power Company
- Comstock Park High School
- Consolidated Street Railway Company
- Consumers Power Company
- Customer Siding
- Dan E. Carne Station
- Diesel Equipment Division of General Motors
- Eastern Michigan Power Company
- Edison Electric Light Company
- Evans Products Company
- Evert Asbestos Insulating Company
- Fame Laundries, Inc.
- Ferris State University
- Fisher & Wright Inc.
- Fisher Body Corporation
- Fulton Steam Plant
- General Electric Company (GE)
- General Motors Corporation
- Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- Godwin Heights Public Schools
- Graceland Memorial Park & Mausoleum
- Grand Floor & Plastering Company
- Grand Rapids Alloys, Inc.
- Grand Rapids Board of Education
- Grand Rapids Brass Company
- Grand Rapids Brewing Company
- Grand Rapids Builders Supply Company
- Grand Rapids Dowel Works
- Grand Rapids Edison Company
- Grand Rapids Electric Light and Power Company
- Grand Rapids Felt Boot Company
- Grand Rapids Gas Light Company
- Grand Rapids Hand Screw Company
- Grand Rapids Pulp and Paper Company
- Grand Rapids Railway Company
- Grand Rapids Smelting
- Grand Rapids Stamping Division, General Motors
- Grand Rapids Water Works
- Grand Rapids-Muskegon Power Company
- Haskelite Manufacturing Corporation
- Hayes Body Corporation
- Hayes Manufacturing Company
- Hekman Furniture Company
- Helmer Realty
- Herpolsheimer Siding
- Herrud and Company
- Holwerda-Huizinga Company
- Industrial Firebrick Corporation
- Johnson Furniture Company
- Keeler Brass Company
- Kelvinator Plant
- Kent County Administration Building
- Kent County Board of Public Works
- Kent Foundry Company
- Klise Manufacturing Company
- Lacks Enterprises, Inc.
- Luce Furniture Company
- McInerney Spring and Wire Company
- Model Coverall Service, Inc.
- Morton House
- National Bank of Detroit (NBD)
- National Biscuit Company (Nabisco)
- New Bissell Plant
- New York Central Railroad
- Northeast Middle School
- Oakdale School
- Old Kent State Bank Building
- Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Perkins and Company
- Portage Public Schools
- Reynolds Metals Company
- Rockford High School
- S&C Division, Owens-Corning Fibreboard
- Saint Mary’s Hospital
- Salvation Army Hotel
- Semet-Solvay Company
- Sparrow Ionia Hospital
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial
- Stafford Building
- Stauffer Chemical Company
- Steelcase, Inc.
- Stickley Brothers Company
- Underwriter Laboratories
- Union Bank & Trust
- Union High School
- Valley City Brick Company
- Valley City Milling Company
- Valley City Street and Cable Railway Company
- VanderWaals-Troske Company
- Voigt Milling Company
- Weber Showcase & Fixture Company
- White & White Pharmacy, Inc.
- Whiting Corporation
- Wolverine Brass
- Wurzburg’s, Eastbrook Mall