Pearl Harbor Shipyard Overview
Once seen as the “Gibraltar of the Pacific,” Pearl Harbor was instrumental in the defense of the United State’s West Coast during and after WWI. Still, the great depression (the years between the 1920s and the 1930s) slowed Pearl Harbor’s growth. Development at the site continued despite roadblocks, and new channels were constructed during the 1920s. Still, 11 ships between 1921 and 1928 ran aground, and the same was feared for the aircraft carriers Lexington and Saratoga.
In 1940, tension increased between the United States and Japan, and the US established training operations at the base. On December 7, 1941, the well-known and mourned Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor would bring the United States into WWII. This attack was the worst naval defeat in US history since the Penobscot Expedition of 1779.
Situated on the southern shore of the island of Oahu, Pearl Harbor Shipyard is the largest ship repair facility between the West Coast and the Far East. The station covers 308.3 acres and it contains 177 buildings, 32 berths, 4 dry docks, and a 3.5 M SF of covered work area. With a total civilian workforce of over 4,255 and 700 military personnel, Pearl Harbor is the largest industrial employer in Hawaii. The facility is valued at $1.2B with a plant equipment value of $122M.