Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
1111 E. McDowell Road
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Located in the heart of downtown Phoenix, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center is one of 23 medical centers belonging to the nonprofit Banner Health system. Reputed as a teaching hospital (and training nearly 250 physicians each year), the medical center contains 638 beds and accommodates more than 44,000 inpatient visits annually. Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center is ranked nationally by U.S. News & World Reports in four patient categories (cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, geriatrics and gynecology) and is ranked as “high-performing” in eight categories, including cancer care.
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center traces its history to a woman named Lulu Clifton, a deaconess in the Methodist church. After being stricken with tuberculosis, Clifton traveled to Phoenix in 1911 to recover from the ailment. While she had only $12 to her name, she was determined to open a new hospital in the city, and founded the Arizona Deaconess Hospital in an apartment building in the city. A few years later, she was given a block of donated land, and the hospital was able to expand; in 1923 a new 105-bed facility opened its doors. In 1929, the hospital’s name was changed to Good Samaritan Hospital.
Good Samaritan grew over the coming decades. It built several additions, established a Graduate Medical Education program in 1951 and added a new heart clinic in 1954. In 1968, Good Samaritan merged with Southside Hospital of Mesa, forming Banner Desert Medical Center. In 1978, a new expansion made the hospital the largest in the state, with 12 stories and 770 beds.
In 2010, the hospital broke ground on a $71 million operating-room expansion that will result in 20 state-of-the-art operating rooms, family consultation rooms, conference rooms, education space, and waiting rooms with technology to keep families connected to their loved ones during the surgery process.
Mesothelioma Treatment at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
Banner Good Samaritan’s mission statement is, “We exist to make a difference in people’s lives through excellent patient care.” The hospital is home to the Banner Good Samaritan Stroke Center, Cavanagh Heart Center, a top-notch Transplant Services Team and one of the largest cancer treatment programs in Arizona. The facility offers numerous cancer treatment therapies, including advanced surgical services, biological response modifiers, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, radioembolization, radiofrequency ablation treatment, TheraSphere and total body irradiation. The hospital is also a pioneer in the use of Positron Emission Tomography, or PET, to diagnose and monitor malignant tumors.
Traditional treatments for malignant mesothelioma consist of a combination of three cancer-fighting techniques: surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Used in varying orders and with varying degrees of intensity, this trio of treatments has been known to extend the lives and quality of life of mesothelioma patients. There are also alternate treatments available through participation in clinical trials, treatment plans in which patients are given brand new therapies and drugs not yet available to the public. Clinical trials can be beneficial for both patients and doctors, as they provide medical staff insight into how cutting-edge treatments work.
Banner Good Samaritan knows that treating cancer requires more than just targeting cancer cells. Therefore the hospital offers a variety of compassionate care services, including nutritional counseling, genetic counseling and rehabilitation services. And because a cancer diagnosis affects the whole family, Banner Good Samaritan offers support groups for both the patient and his or her loved ones.
Banner Good Samaritan – About Us
Banner Good Samaritan – Fast Facts
“Multi-million dollar expansion at Banner Good Samaritan in Downtown Phoenix”
Banner Good Samaritan – General Fact Sheet