This is a phase I and II clinical study for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (a type of cancer affecting the lining of the lung). Patients will receive an infusion (given by vein) of autologous tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs). TILs are a type of white blood cells that recognizes tumor cells and enter them which causes the tumor cells to break down.
Prior to the cell infusion, patients will receive a two drugs cyclophosphamide and fludarabine to prepare the body to receive the TILs. After cell infusion, patients will receive low-dose interleukin-2 therapy. This study will see how safe and useful this regimen is in treating malignant pleural mesothelioma.
|First Received Date||April 8, 2015|
|Last Changed Date||May 31, 2016|
|Start Date||June 2015|
|Anticipated Primary Completion Date||June 2025|
|Primary Outcome Measures||
Total number of adverse events for each event reported and the severity and attribution to study therapy of each event [Time Frame: 5 years]
|Secondary Outcome Measures||
Percentage of patients with a clinical response to the study treatment [Time Frame: 5 years]
|Phase||Phase 1/Phase 2|
|Study Arms / Comparison Groups||1 / 0|
|Ages||18 Years - N/A|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers||No|
Marcus Butler, M.D.
- Able to sign and date the informed consent form.
- Must have measurable stage I-IV malignant pleural mesothelioma at the time of investigational treatment.
- May have 3 or fewer asymptomatic brain metastases.
- Patient age: ≥ 18 years.
- Clinical performance status of ECOG 0 or 1.
- Life expectancy > 3 months from the date of consent.
- Laboratory analyses of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) from the patient must demonstrate that the TILs are suitable for use in protocol treatment
- More than 30 days has elapsed since any prior systemic therapy at the time of the cell infusion, or more than six weeks since prior nitrosurea therapy. All toxicities must have recovered to a grade 1 or less. Patients may have undergone minor surgical procedures with the past 3 weeks, as long as all toxicities have recovered to grade 1 or less
- Adequate organ function
- Women of child-bearing potential must have a negative pregnancy test. Patients of both genders must be willing to practice birth control during treatment and for 6 months post completion of IL-2 treatment.
- Ongoing or prior use systemic steroid therapy within 4 weeks before the TILs infusion will be excluded.
- Known HIV positive patients will be excluded.
- Active hepatitis B or hepatitis C, syphilis, or HTLV will be excluded.
- Must not have any active systemic infections, coagulation disorders or other active major medical illnesses of the cardiovascular, respiratory or immune system, uncontrolled psychiatric disorders, or other conditions that may affect compliance with the trial.
- Must have no active underlying cardiac illnesses
- Patients with DLCO (diffusion capacity of the lung for carbon monoxide) < 60% of predicted value, within 4 weeks of chemotherapy, will be excluded.
|Sponsor||University Health Network, Toronto|
|Verification Date||May 2016|