The aim of this study is to learn about how mesothelioma affects patients' emotional and physical well-being. Also, the investigators would like to learn more about what patients need and how they deal with this illness. This information can help us find ways to lessen physical and emotional strains. Part of the study tests an alternate way of giving emotional support through the Internet. By providing support online, patients can participate in the comfort of their home.
|First Received Date||May 17, 2011|
|Last Changed Date||May 7, 2018|
|Start Date||May 2011|
|Anticipated Primary Completion Date||November 2019|
|Primary Outcome Measures||
To describe the psychological needs of patients with mesothelioma. [Time Frame: 1 year]
|Secondary Outcome Measures||
the aim is to explore the acceptability and promise of an Internet-based discussion group for patients with mesothelioma. [Time Frame: 1 year]
|Study Arms / Comparison Groups||2 / 0|
|Recruitment Status||Active, not recruiting|
|Ages||18 Years - N/A|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers||No|
- Diagnosis of pleural mesothelioma and receiving care at MSKCC
- At least 18 years of age or older
- Able to read and speak English
- Patients who choose to participate in the Internet-based discussion groups, need a telephone, a computer, Internet access, and an e-mail account.
- Significant psychiatric or cognitive disturbance sufficient, in the investigator's judgment, to preclude providing informed consent or participating in a group-format intervention (i.e., acute psychiatric symptoms which require individual treatment).
|Sponsor||Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center|
|Verification Date||May 2018|