The MCA BlogConnecting with others one story at a time
September 26, Mesothelioma Awareness Day, is upon us. This day offers an opportunity to educate citizens about asbestos, urge Congress to listen to the voices of the global mesothelioma community, and to harness the power of hope and awareness.
However, as quickly as the 26th arrives it will also come to an end. The question must be asked — is a day ending enough of a reason to also forget about what that day represents?
In an effort to extend the important advocacy, education, and preventative sentiment that Mesothelioma Awareness Day stands for, the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) initiated a month-long Raise Your Voice || #ENDMeso Campaign. The stories told from mesothelioma fighters, their families and their loved ones humbled us, broke our hearts, gave us hope, and motivated us with an unstoppable fervor to keep fighting.
Legal and Lethal
As impactful as Mesothelioma Awareness Day efforts have been, it still isn’t enough. Asbestos, a known carcinogen, has yet to be banned in the United States, and imports continue.
An estimated 3,000 Americans die every year from mesothelioma, just one of the many incurable but preventable asbestos-caused diseases.
Enough is enough.
Start a Fire
The Mesothelioma Warrior community epitomizes the old Chinese Proverb, “Out of the hottest fire comes the strongest steel.” Together, the community is galvanized to end the asbestos man-made disaster.
Sharing makes us stronger and solidarity is one of our greatest assets. Today, ignite your passion and take these two steps:
- Share this post to someone who doesn’t know about asbestos and the preventable diseases it causes.
- Send your letter to Congress urging them to ban asbestos. All you have to do is fill out a simple form and a letter to your local Congress is automated for you. This will force countless voices to be heard, which is the only way we can hope to achieve our goal.
When the sun sets on September 26th, our work for Mesothelioma Warriors of today and the future will continue. Our fight cannot stop until we #ENDMeso.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients and Their Families
- Request a Free Mesothelioma Treatment Guide
- Connect with Top Mesothelioma Doctors
- Locate the Nearest Comprehensive Cancer Center