The MCA BlogConnecting with others one story at a time
Back to school preparations have started, and the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance (MCA) is looking to keep you and your family safe as you prepare to send children back to school after summer break. Getting back into the school-year routine can be daunting, but preparation is necessary to keep faculty, administrators, teachers, and students safe as they arrive in their classrooms.
Did You Know:
- Asbestos was proven to be found in various brands of crayons.
- Over 700,000 schools and buildings in the United States today contain asbestos insulation as reported by the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- Anyone who works in a particular school or has a child that attends that school has a right to be informed as to the presence of asbestos and how it is being managed.
- Parents have every right to ask to see this management plan and if there is none in place or if the plan is old, school officials should be confronted. If no action is taken to correct the situation, the local EPA should be notified immediately.
We worked with parents to help us create a checklist of tips to make the transition back to school as seamless and safe as possible. Talking to your children about safety is an important step in helping them learn and grow. Whether it’s getting to school safely, lessons in personal hygiene, or simply how to respect others, these tips can make the process a learning experience for all involved.
How do you stay safe preparing for back to school? Let us know in the comments! And be sure to share our checklist with your friends, family, and neighbors. And a big thanks to Christa and Kristen for their help in curating these tips!
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients and Their Families
- Request a Free Mesothelioma Treatment Guide
- Connect with Top Mesothelioma Doctors
- Locate the Nearest Comprehensive Cancer Center