The MCA BlogConnecting with others one story at a time
When diagnosed with cancer, a patients diet and eating habits are one of the many things that change drastically. It’s important for a cancer patient to be aware of their diet and start to incorporate the types of foods that will benefit them in their fight against cancer. To avoid things such as cachexia and anorexia, which are problems faced by many cancer patients, a healthy diet is imperative in helping the body to heal efficiently.
While going through chemotherapy or radiation treatments, patients are often told to eat an extra amount of calories to ensure their bodies remain as strong as possible. With an arsenal of healthy recipes comprised of superfoods, this makes it easier on both the patient and the caregiver. One of these superfoods is kale. According to MindBodyGreen, Kale is being called “the new beef”, “the queen of greens” and “a nutritional powerhouse" with it's many wonderful health benefits.
Kale is a quite versatile vegetable with many options for cooking and as well as many wonderful recipes it can be used with. Below is a delicious Baked Pasta with Kale recipe:
What you will need to make this deliciously healthy pasta dish:
- 1 pound of whole-wheat pasta (your choice)
- 1 pound bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces of diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup non-fat ricotta cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Add the kale during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain the pasta and kale and return it to the pot.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Season with ½ teaspoon of both salt and pepper and cook. Keep covered, stirring occasionally until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 cup of water. Simmer stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Stir in crushed red pepper.
- Add sauce to pasta and kale and toss to coat. Add tomatoes and ricotta.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a 3-quart or 9- by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake until heated through and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
This dish is incredibly healthy and a great option to cook ahead and eat throughout the week. Enjoy!
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients and their Families
- Request a Free Mesothelioma Treatment Guide
- Connect with Top Mesothelioma Doctors
- Locate the Nearest Comprehensive Cancer Center