Howard (Jack) West, M.D.
Thoracic Oncologist, Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle, WA
Joining the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance near the end of 2012, Howard Jack West M.D. is a thoracic oncologist and medical writer. Dr. West will headline medical contributions to our blog by shedding light on pertinent issues as they relate to the diagnosis and treatment of mesothelioma, as well as other relevant medical news.
A Harvard Medical School graduate, Dr. West is currently the Director of Thoracic Oncology at the Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle. He brings years of medical experience from some of the top institutions around the world including Cambridge University, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Princeton University. Dr. West also has a strong clinical research focus on lung cancer, and has published numerous studies regarding treatment combinations for different stages of the disease.
In addition to his role at the Swedish Cancer Institute, West serves on numerous medical committees and is the President of Go West Health Care Consulting and OncTalk, LLC, a medical education website. Dr. West also founded a nonprofit medical education forum called Global Resource for Advancing Cancer Education (GRACE), which addresses a wider range of cancer topics and provides a multitude of educational materials for its members.
Dr. West’s efforts both inside and outside of the Swedish Cancer Institute have not gone unnoticed in the medical community. He was named an Innovator in Lung Cancer from 2002-2004 and was voted on the “Top Doctors” in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine in 2011 and 2012. Below are some more of West’s professional accolades.
Honors and Accolades
- “Best Doctors, Medical Oncology” in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, 2011-2012
- Finalist at the GSK National Medical Oncology Fellows’ Forum, 2002
- Southwest Oncology Group Young Investigator, 2001
- Graduated from Harvard Medical School magna cum laude in 1996
- Graduated from Princeton University summa cum laude and received a Fulbright Scholarship to Cambridge University in 1990
Stay Connected with Dr. West!
- Connect with Dr. West on Facebook
- Follow Dr. West’s research on Twitter
- Add Dr. West to your circles on Google+
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients and their Families
- Request a Free Mesothelioma Treatment Guide
- Connect with Top Mesothelioma Doctors
- Locate the Nearest Comprehensive Cancer Center