The MCA BlogConnecting with others one story at a time
Our nation’s veterans are the population most at risk for developing mesothelioma. Because asbestos exposure was unavoidable for many, mesothelioma is still one of the most deadly diseases that affect veterans even today.
For veterans concerned about their risk of asbestos exposure and mesothelioma, the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance is here to help.
Where Did You Serve?
Find information on the exposure risks for each branch of service:
- Air Force
- Navy – the branch most known for developing mesothelioma, due to use of asbestos in naval ships and shipyards. To find out if you were exposed:
I am serving/recently served in Iraq. Is this still an issue for me?
- Iraq has no bans or regulations on asbestos use. It has been used in construction projects in recent years.
- If structures with asbestos are damaged, asbestos fibers can become airborne and put soldiers at risk of inhalation.
Your Next Steps
I think I may have been exposed to asbestos. What should I do now?
- Visit a veteran treatment center if you feel you may have been exposed to asbestos or have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. There are also doctors and cancer centers that specialize in mesothelioma treatment; search the facilities and doctors in your area.
- If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-related disease, you could be eligible for compensation from the responsible party/parties. Every case is different, but seeking legal support can help ease the burden of the financial stress a disease can bring.
Going through a cancer diagnosis is a life-changing event. The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance is a unique and large community of victims and supporters who are willing to help.
- Visit MCA’s Facebook page to connect with over 49,000 community members who can answer questions, share experiences, and offer their support.
- Visit the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog for valuable resources for cancer patients and caregivers, timely information about the disease, and stories of inspiration from other Mesothelioma Warriors.
Resources for Mesothelioma Patients and Their Families
- Request a Free Mesothelioma Treatment Guide
- Connect with Top Mesothelioma Doctors
- Locate the Nearest Comprehensive Cancer Center