Shreveport is a city on the Red River in the state of Louisiana. The seat of Caddo Parish, Shreveport has a current population of just over 199,000, making it the third-largest city in the state. Established in 1836 at the junction of the Red River and the Texas Trail, Shreveport was a center of steamboat shipping and commerce. Today, the city has turned its focus to service industries and tourism. Major employers include the State of Louisiana, Barksdale Air Force Base, and the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center.
Shortly after its founding, Shreveport soon became a trading center, shipping cotton and other goods up and down the river by steamboat. The river's tendency to fill itself in, combined with increased rail use, rendered the river un-navigable by 1914. At that time, cotton, cotton products, and oil were among Shreveport's chief commodities. A 1915 fertilizer handbook lists three cotton oil mills, including the Caddo Cotton Oil Company, and the Union Seed & Fertilizer Company. Standard Oil of Louisiana was established in 1909, operating as a locally-based company until it was absorbed by Standard Oil of New Jersey in 1944. Another company, Specialty Oil Company, was acquired by Pennzoil-Quaker state in 1993. Pennzoil operated the refinery until 2001, when it was sold to Calumet Specialty Products, a maker of white mineral oils, petroleum waxes, and other specialty hydrocarbons. The R.F. Zimmerman Company, founded in 1944, sells HVAC products of many well-known manufacturers. Today the river channel has been reopened, and riverboat casino gambling added to the city’s economic mix.
Shreveport's lengthy history of construction and industrial activity places it in a high-risk category for asbestos exposure. Workers and their loved ones who are exposed to asbestos may be at risk for mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases. If you were exposed to asbestos in Shreveport and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you should also consider contacting an asbestos law firm.
Asbestos Exposure at Jobsites in Shreveport
The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance has compiled information obtained from a number of sources to identify the following jobsites in Shreveport where asbestos exposure was known to have occurred. These sites are listed below.
- A.M.F. Beaird
- Abc Midland
- Alco Products Inc
- American Compress & Warehouse Company
- American Cotton Oil Company
- Amoco Refineries
- Ap Green Refractories Company
- Architectural Products Manufacturing. Company
- Arkansas Fuel Oil Company
- Arkansas Louisiana Gas Company
- Arkla Chemical Corporation
- Army Ammunition Plant
- Arthur Circle Elementary School
- Atlas Contractors
- Atlas Oil and Refining Corporation
- Atlas Processing Company
- Atlas Refinery
- Barksdale Air Force Base
- Bayou State Oil Corporation
- Beard J B Company
- Bird & Son Roofing
- Brown & Root
- Caddo De Soto Cotton Oil Company
- Catalytic, Inc.
- Cities Service
- Coca Cola Project
- Confederate Memorial Hospital
- Delta Southern Manufacturing Company
- Dittco Architectural Products, Inc.
- East Texas Refining Company
- Ford Motor Company
- G S Roofing
- General Motors Corp
- Henderson Cotton Oil Company
- Independent Supply & Svc
- Industrial Roofing and Sheet Metal
- Industrial Steel
- International Paper Mill
- Irish Pipeline
- J B Beard
- J. Graves Insulation Company, Inc.
- J.M. Brown Construction
- Kansas City Railroad
- Kansas City Southern Railway
- Lagloria Refinery
- Libbey Owens Ford Glass
- Libby Glass Plant
- Oak Terrace Special School
- Olin Corporation
- Pennsylvania Oil
- Pennzoil Company
- Pennzoil Refinery
- Pennzoil Refinery Louisiana
- Preformed Metal Products Company, Inc.
- Premet Company, Inc.
- R. F. Zimmerman & Company, Inc.
- Ralston Purina
- Reformed Metals Company
- Richard Machinery & Supply Company
- Rothschild Boiler & Tank Works
- Schumpert Medical Center
- Schumpert Sanitarium
- Shreveport Charity Hospital
- Shreveport Gas Electric Light and Power Company
- Shreveport Prod & Refg Company
- Sisters of Charity of The Incarnate Word
- Southwestern Gas & Electric Company
- Spartan Oil Refining Company
- Standard Asbestos Company
- State Office Building
- Steel Forgings, Inc
- Superior Iron Works & Supply
- Sw Gas & Electric Company
- Taylor Contracting and Supply
- Taylor-Seidenbach, Inc.
- Union Seed and Fertilizer Company
- United Gas Pipeline Company
- United States Veterans Hospital
- Universal Oil Products Company
- Wilson Packing Company
- Woolco Department Store
Filing an Asbestos Lawsuit in Shreveport, Louisiana
Don’t lose your rights! If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos in Louisiana, you may be entitled to compensation. You may have limited time to file a claim. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and have a pathology report in hand to support that diagnosis, you are eligible for financial assistance.
Asbestos Related News in Louisiana
Asbestos was recently discovered in the Orleans Parish criminal courthouse, causing it to shut down while contractors remove it. Read more at Mesothelioma.com.
Former employee of ten years at Avondale Shipyard is suing the company for damages from asbestos exposure, which has led to silicosis disease.