Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
Originally established in 1891, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard was originally known as Navy Yard Puget Sound in 1901. The shipyard's primary function during WWI involved ship construction. During the war seven submarines, 25 sub chasers, seven sea-going tugs, two ammunition ships, 1,700 small boats, and two minesweepers were built. The Shipyard later repaired damaged ships belonging to the U.S. and Allied Fleets during WWII.
The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard received its current name after WWII. During that period, the shipyard kept busy modernizing carriers which included converting conventional flight decks to angle decks. The yard then activated ships during the Korean conflict and in the late 1950's began to once again focus on new construction. At that time it delivered a new class of guided missile frigates. The first nuclear powered submarine worked on at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard was the USS SCULPIN (SSN 590) in 1965.
Located adjacent to the city of Bremerton in Western Washington, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is the largest and most diverse shipyard on the West Coast, and provides the Northwest's largest naval shore activity. The Shipyard stretches over 327 acres with 338 acres of submerged land. The complex includes four moorings, nine piers, 382 buildings, and six dry docks. Dry dock No. 6 holds the record as the largest on the West Coast.
- Coletta, Paolo E., Ed. United States Navy and Marine Corps Bases, Domestic. London: Greenwood Press, 1985. Ppgs. 346-358.